Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP NEEDED! iphoto library from version '08 to '11?

How do I export/transfer/migrate/move the iphoto library from an old computer running iphoto version '08 (7.1.5) to a new computer running version '11 (9.1.2)?

Due to lack of space (library >100GB) I intend to put the old library on an external drive and keep it there for reference. My more current photos are kept in a new fresh local library.

I succeed in transfering the library to the external drive, however the icon for the file (in Finder) is not recognized as an iphotolibrary (iPhoto Library masa is a test library, iphotolibbig is the library I want to transfer):

User uploaded file

I now tried creating a new library iPhotoLibraryBIGfromG5 (it is empty to start with even though the name says BIG...):

User uploaded file

I now open iphoto choosing the iPhotoLibraryBIGfromG5 and then import the old library by simply dragging and dropping into iphoto.

The photos surely show up, but I loose all my "events" and some info is corrupt (and what else, I don't know haven't looked into all errors).

Please, please give me some hints on this issue, it has followed me for a long time now...

Help is much appreciated!

iPhoto '11

Posted on May 5, 2011 10:34 AM

4 replies

May 5, 2011 10:47 AM in response to tjoflong

1 - Never import an iPhoto library into another iPhoto library - it does not work and creates massive duplication

2 - To move an iPhoto library Connect the two Macs together (network, FireWire target mode, etc) and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity from the old Mac to the pictures folder of the new Mac - launch iPhoto on the new mac and it will open the library and convert it as needed and you will be ready move forward. Or alternatively connect an external hard drive to the old Mac, drag the iPhoto library intact to it and then properly unmount and disconnect it and connect it to the new Mac - depress the option key and launch iPhoto using the select library option to access it - if you want two libraries - one on the EHD and one on the computer you should purchase iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - it makes managing multiple libraries much more successful and easier

LN

May 5, 2011 10:56 AM in response to tjoflong

I now open iphoto choosing the iPhotoLibraryBIGfromG5 and then import the old library by simply dragging and dropping into iphoto.

This is NOT the way to convert an older library to iPhoto 11.

To move you library from your old Mac to the new one all you need to do is connect the two and drag it to the location on the new Mac where you want to run it. In this case that would be to your external hard drive.

Then open iPhoto 11 with the Option key held down, click on the Other Library button.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

Navigate to the external hard drive and select the library that you moved there. iPhoto 11 will open and convert it to the new format keeping your events, albums, keywords, titles, slideshows, books, etc. intact.

If you want to keep a smaller library on your boot drive launch iPhoto with the Option key depressed and use the Create New... button. Then use iPhoto Library Manager to copy the Event and/or albums from the full library on the EHD into the smaller library on the boot drive. It will keep the keywords, titles, descriptions intact.

Again as a reminder, do not import the old library into a new library.

OT

HELP NEEDED! iphoto library from version '08 to '11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.