Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission.

I am trying to create a new folder on my desktop, but this message pops up: The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission.

I am the sole owner and user of this Mac, and bought it at the end of last year. Up until about 4 weeks ago, I hadn't encountered this problem before. Any possible solutions to my problem?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 5, 2011 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2011 2:23 PM

Select HD->Users->username->Desktop, click CMD+I, and ensure that you're the owner and have Read & Write permissions.

11 replies

May 5, 2011 11:23 PM in response to baltwo

I'm not sure what CMD+I is. I right-click on Desktop, click on Get Info, and it says under sharing & permissions: You can only read. Yet under Name is my name (front part of my email address), and across under Privilege it says Read & Write. I'm not quite sure what to make of this.

Also, I'm not sure where to look to ensure that I am the owner, other than knowing that yes, I am the owner of this Mac. I am a Mac novice when it comes solving problems like this. Thanks for the prompt reply!

-bennarsson

May 6, 2011 9:13 AM in response to bennarsson

When you select an item, file or folder, right-click and select Get Info is the same as pressing the command and I keys. Both pop up the info panel for the selected item. If you've selected your Desktop folder, then something is extremely wrong if it says [i]You can only read[/i], while showing you under name with read and write privileges. This what it should be showing:

User uploaded file

The only thing I can recommend is to restart and see if the Get Info shows consistent information.

Jun 20, 2012 6:21 PM in response to crampy

That's OK, crampy.

I was overwhelmed with trying to help to an extreme degree too -- years ago.

I think you got great advice today from another helper, who encouraged you to read more and maybe post a little less. You're obviously well-intentioned and enthusiastic. Just be patient, learn all you can, and answer when you very sure you know the answer.

Just always remember, our posters here really need answers. Not just Wild A** Guesses. You need to read the whole thread carefully, do some research, and then answer responsibly. If you do all that, I know you'll be great.

The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.