Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just purchased the upgrade from trial to full version. It does not work. It asks for my orginal serial key and when I paste in the trial key it says invalid??

Downloaded trial and then purchased the activate the full version option. The activation keys don't work. It wants an 'original' key. When I use the trial key it rejects it as invalid! Have I just been robbed of 75 quid?

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on May 5, 2011 2:05 PM

4 replies

May 6, 2011 3:13 AM in response to lanceblack

Thanks to Corky02 for caring. Let me also say that my subsequent post was in upper case because I was using that setting at the time. It was not a 'shout' as someone suggested.

This upgrade. It clearly states that a 'trial' version can be transformed into a 'full working version' by the payment of a fee. I purchased this product and it did not activate. Nowhere does it say that you need to have an old version of the product. The clear inference is that 'the trial version can be upgraded to the full version by payment of a not insignificant fee'. However using the activation key supplied with the order and the trial key as the original key does not activate the product. Therefore the 79UKP or 130 dollars! is payment for a non existent product. I cannot even ask for a refund because the key was supplied electronically and the order is closed. Also Apple do not seem to be contactable. It is all 'do_not_reply' addresses, FAQs and support forums. Apple appear to aloof and uncaring.

Having said all that, Aperture appears to be an excellent tool for processing professional photos. I'm importing from a Leica M9 and Aperture is the only tool that seems to handle the massive files and give perfect picture quality. Great tool. Poor sales support and misleading advertising.

La

May 6, 2011 6:19 AM in response to lanceblack

lanceblack,

Glad to help if I can, sorry if not.

I am not really clear on what you actually purchased though.

Here in the US, you can purchase Aperture in 3 ways:

1 = Full version on physical media - http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB957Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTY5NjU1MTE

The full version above can be purchased via online store or in an Apple retail store at this time.

2 = Upgrade version on physical media - http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB959Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTY5NjU1NDE

The upgrade version above can be purchased via online store or in an Apple retail store at this time.

3 = Via the Mac App Store (which is $79 US)

The Mac App Store version can only be purchased via that software. Since I purchased the upgrade physical media, I do not know if this version even has a key or if it just relies on your Apple ID to validate.

If you purchased the 'Upgrade' version listed in #2, then you need to have a full version key to install and license. If you purchased a 'Full' version listed in #1, then it should have worked and you may need Apple to help sort it.

Note - if you accidentally purchased the upgrade version, then I suspect Apple would be willing to work with you to either pay the difference for the full version, or allow you to exchange for the Mac App Store version (depending on how that works where you live, if it does). 😉

May 6, 2011 4:12 PM in response to lanceblack

lanceblack,

You know, I had seen your similar post in other forum with same issue. This itself is confusing for other participants including myself to keep track of forum discussion regarding same issue.

It would be nice if you keep your issue in proper forum in one place, less confusion for others.

Corky02 said better than I did yesterday. I am not quite sure why or what impresssion that you'd easily upgrade from try-out app into full-license. For many people are aware that what it means or what does this having to do with upgrading qualification with any applications. Why did you think you would get to upgrade that easily from trail try out app to licensed one?

I don't think the Apple's ads are misleading. I just think you got yourself confused. Sorry I can't help you. IF I am Apple employee, I would love to help you and get this resolved for you. I am just one of those participants helping others.

Once again, I am sorry that you get your view all wrong and lead into thinking that you are entitled to do so. But you need to understand that once if you had purchased a full license app from try-out app. Most people know what does that mean with try out app for the first time. And most people know that if they wish to purchase an application, this means purchasing a boxed (or electronic downloaded file) from Apple retail store (or online store). Plus, new venue at Apple offering Mac App store. I think that is a little confusion for some people who are not familiar with the difference.

I do believe that if you purchase from Mac App store, it doesn't require to put in license serial number. I think it is a different approach for some reason. I had bought some other Mac apps (not Aperture) from Mac App store few times. I haven't purchased Aperture updated version straight from Mac App store online. I bought mine from Apple retail store in Canada in person.

I still don't understand why you still think Apple is misleading you all the way. I don't think it is. In case if you haven't notice... there is way for you to get in touch with Apple called Apple Support Express Lane. Give it a try.

I just purchased the upgrade from trial to full version. It does not work. It asks for my orginal serial key and when I paste in the trial key it says invalid??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.