Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto features I miss in Aperture

I'm a recent convert from iPhoto to Aperture, and I certainly wouldn't want to give up my Dodge brushes, Activity window, Lift & Stamp, etc. But, I hope the next version of Aperture supports these useful iPhoto features:

1) iPhoto Batch Change has a great feature for modifying the date by adding 1 second between each photo. This means that after manually sorting scans into my preferred order, I could Batch change their dates and they would then sort correctly (e.g., in a Project or on the iPad photo app).

2) The "Add to" button is an easy way to add a picture to an album, rather than having to drag it.

3) File: Reveal in Finder was sometimes useful to me for checking that metadata was getting modified correctly, although it's such a dangerous feature for naive users that it should probably be removed from iPhoto as it is added to Aperture.

4) Access to the menus in full screen view by holding the cursor across the top of the screen for 3 seconds.

If anyone has Applescripts or similar to accomplish any of these, I'd appreciate the suggestions. Any other missing iPhoto features?

13" MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 2.13 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD

Posted on May 5, 2011 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2011 2:49 PM

Aperture and iPhoto have a strong family resemblance, but the similarities are no more than skin deep. They are very different programs, developed by different teams for very different users. Comparing their features is, imho, a waste of time.

(iPhoto comes pre-assembled, with training wheels, and a selection of sparkly steamers; Aperture comes in a plain box with almost no instructions, tubes uncut, spokes neither bent, headed, or threaded, etc.)

Aperture is very powerful, and very customizable. I'm sure you will find what you need, adapt to what is there, and end up with a fast and pretty ride.

dankohn wrote:

1) iPhoto Batch Change has a great feature for modifying the date by adding 1 second between each photo. This means that after manually sorting scans into my preferred order, I could Batch change their dates and they would then sort correctly (e.g., in a Project or on the iPad photo app).

2) The "Add to" button is an easy way to add a picture to an album, rather than having to drag it.

3) File: Reveal in Finder was sometimes useful to me for checking that metadata was getting modified correctly, although it's such a dangerous feature for naive users that it should probably be removed from iPhoto as it is added to Aperture.

4) Access to the menus in full screen view by holding the cursor across the top of the screen for 3 seconds.

If anyone has Applescripts or similar to accomplish any of these, I'd appreciate the suggestions. Any other missing iPhoto features?

1. Sound cool A work-around: Rename the Versions in series, and sort by name. But that's only of use outside of Aperture; within Aperture, your manual sort order for any container is always remembered, even if you switch to another sort order.
  2. I tend to do this in lumps, using Flags and Flagged view. If you have an Album to which you regularly add, I would suggest converting it to a Smart Album and using a keyword to move images into the Smart Album. Albums, for me, work best for fixed projects (small "p" output projects: head-shots of Peter, for instance); Smart Albums work great for organization of open-ended things (like my "portfolio").
  3. This exist in Aperture for Referenced Masters (the only case in which it would be useful). Versions are just text files, to be neither read nor messed with, and Managed Masters are located inside the Aperture Library package.
  4. There is a pretty complete icon tool bar at the top of the screen which pop-up when you mouse up there in full-screen view. You can anchor it so it shows all the time.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2011 2:49 PM in response to dankohn

Aperture and iPhoto have a strong family resemblance, but the similarities are no more than skin deep. They are very different programs, developed by different teams for very different users. Comparing their features is, imho, a waste of time.

(iPhoto comes pre-assembled, with training wheels, and a selection of sparkly steamers; Aperture comes in a plain box with almost no instructions, tubes uncut, spokes neither bent, headed, or threaded, etc.)

Aperture is very powerful, and very customizable. I'm sure you will find what you need, adapt to what is there, and end up with a fast and pretty ride.

dankohn wrote:

1. Sound cool A work-around: Rename the Versions in series, and sort by name. But that's only of use outside of Aperture; within Aperture, your manual sort order for any container is always remembered, even if you switch to another sort order.
  2. I tend to do this in lumps, using Flags and Flagged view. If you have an Album to which you regularly add, I would suggest converting it to a Smart Album and using a keyword to move images into the Smart Album. Albums, for me, work best for fixed projects (small "p" output projects: head-shots of Peter, for instance); Smart Albums work great for organization of open-ended things (like my "portfolio").
  3. This exist in Aperture for Referenced Masters (the only case in which it would be useful). Versions are just text files, to be neither read nor messed with, and Managed Masters are located inside the Aperture Library package.
  4. There is a pretty complete icon tool bar at the top of the screen which pop-up when you mouse up there in full-screen view. You can anchor it so it shows all the time.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

May 5, 2011 3:06 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thanks for the comments.

I especially like your suggestion for #2, to try to ditch (dumb) albums and use keywords and smart albums instead. One advantage of that workflow is that the picture metadata will identify what albums it's in.

On #4, I'm missing options like Assign Location and Detect Missing Faces. I could add keyboard equivalents for each, but it's just strange to have to hit F to get to the menu when iPhoto had a simpler way (holding the mouse at the top of the screen for a few seconds).

Jun 14, 2011 11:51 AM in response to JohnTheAppleFan

Unfortunately, Aperture's syncing with iOS devices is very buggy, while iPhotos's was rock-solid reliable. I have several thousand (scanned) photos for which I've changed the date. Only a few dozen of them are sorted by the correct (updated) date when I sync to my iPad and iPhone. This is despite writing changes to master file, writing IPTC metadata to master, amd rebuilding iPod photo cache.

Aug 13, 2013 3:19 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

tO Kirby:

Whereas the comments are as near and not moot as possible, may be that you have an answer to my dillema! The over 6 MB's iMaGes i have were 'digitalized' from 35 mm. I intend to do more, but would rather know whether CS-4 would be a better association for "folio" of over 50,000 imges than apeRture, which does not allow me to "categoRize" by highlighting and making 3-4-5 iMages, and Rather inputs all others that somehow got there into aperture from amy of seveRal viRtua "folios" i.e. libraries are for my books or reading public.

What makes this dysfunctinality happen? Is this neo-Liberalism!

Aug 13, 2013 3:47 PM in response to R Ski

Aperture absolutely excels at Digital Asset Management. Imho, CS does not.

Could you more simply phrase your question (" ... apeRture, which does not allow me to "categoRize" by highlighting and making 3-4-5 iMages, and Rather inputs all others that somehow got there into aperture from amy of seveRal viRtua "folios" i.e. libraries are for my books or reading public")? I can't tell what you are trying to do or what result you are getting.

It will be helpful if you start a new thread. Specify your current set-up (Aperture and OS versions, one or several Libraries, location of your Originals, and how you are using Projects and Albums and Folders for your overall Library organization), what you want to do, what you have tried to do, what happened, and how that differed from what you expected.

If you are unfamiliar with Aperture's various containers, this concise guide I wrote will likely help you achieve your goal faster.

--Kirby.

iPhoto features I miss in Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.