Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there anyone still having problems with extreme IMAP bandwidth usage? We've used 12GB in 3.5 days...!

About a month ago we started experiencing a large amount of bandwidth usage as reported from our ISP. From a norm of between 5-8GB per month, it shot up to 21GB! I've read recently that in the early days of Snow Leopard there was an issue which resulted in this increased activity. We are a small network of mixed PC and Mac users, using Leopard and SNow Leopard on the Mac side, and Windows XP on the other.

Suggestions anyone.

thanks

DJH

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 17" 4GB RAM 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo

Posted on May 5, 2011 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2011 1:02 AM

I still have this problem with Snow Leopard Mail. My solution is to take all accounts offline after emptying the trash, then immediately take them back online.

You can see whether this would solve your problem by opening the Activity Monitor and switching to the Network view before emptying the Mail trash. (Make sure you don't have any other significant network activity at the time.) Empty the Mail trash and watch the network activity - Mail will appear to have finished emptying the trash, but the "Data sent" line (red) in the Activity Monitor remains at several kb per second - I've seen up to 70 kb/s. Taking all mail accounts offline stops this activity, and it doesn't restart when you take them back online.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2011 1:02 AM in response to ghtK3VHxiO9DalJklqHh

I still have this problem with Snow Leopard Mail. My solution is to take all accounts offline after emptying the trash, then immediately take them back online.

You can see whether this would solve your problem by opening the Activity Monitor and switching to the Network view before emptying the Mail trash. (Make sure you don't have any other significant network activity at the time.) Empty the Mail trash and watch the network activity - Mail will appear to have finished emptying the trash, but the "Data sent" line (red) in the Activity Monitor remains at several kb per second - I've seen up to 70 kb/s. Taking all mail accounts offline stops this activity, and it doesn't restart when you take them back online.

Is there anyone still having problems with extreme IMAP bandwidth usage? We've used 12GB in 3.5 days...!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.