Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Print DOC TITLE and DATE in header or footer

need to add the document title and date to a header or footer and can't find this.

thanks

Posted on May 5, 2011 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2011 9:40 PM

What program(s) are you trying to do this from?

23 replies

May 6, 2011 7:16 AM in response to RoryMac

Hi Rory.

Thanks.

I'm new to mac and I have to admit printing has me a bit befuddled over a longish period of time. For instance, the logic behind Print and Print Selected out of Preview seems very strange. If I remember correctly they both only print the sheet you have selected and you have to select all the images/pdf pages to get it to print all the pages in the currently opened window. very strange but I do have a hard time telling what is a bug or just mac being mac.

Anyway, I am printing out of a lot of things which is partly why I find this kind of thing confusing. I wish there was a setting somewhere in the same place at least. It's be fantastic if there was a software with a spreadsheet that let me control this kind of thing at one glance....

Anyway, Preview, Pages, Numbers especially. Various photo imaging/editing and 3D modeling software.

BTW I just printed something out in ConText and the readout at the top of these pages by way of info is fantastic...

Regards and thanks,

Jonathan

May 15, 2011 6:58 AM in response to hotwheels22

Each program would have its own method of creating headers and footers. In Pages, you can add them in the Document Inspector. In Numbers, the cell headers and footers are the page header/footer.

I'm not sure what you are describing in Preview. If you want to print the whole document, just print. If you want to print the selected pages, select the pages you want and select that option.

May 15, 2011 7:15 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney.

I may have had a bug in Preview. I have to keep looking at this thanks.

So - for mac Pages I do this in the Inspector and for mac Numbers I do this in a footer by inserting code into the footer block?

Sure would be nice if they were able to clean up these print items a little more globally. Can I please ask you if there is a way to get the Print dialog to show me everything all at once? I am constantly hunting through these pulldown menus to find Scale or Do Not Scale, Scale Percentage, Landscape, Portrait, Two to Page, Autorotate etcetera etcetera depending on what program I am in...

Is there a setting that will just show me everything or is there a way to understand what in this Print Dialog is THE SAME from program to program to program.

I don't want to complain but it sure seems like mac did not spend much time in organizing this for us. Is this an HP <> Mac coordination issue by chance?

I still can't scan from my HP printer by hitting a button and have to hump my way all the way back to my computer to scan through the Preview dialog.

Thanks,

Jonathan

May 15, 2011 12:49 PM in response to hotwheels22

I don't know of a way to view everything at once. Seems like it would be kind of cluttered.

Printer manufacturers add features to the Print Dialogs.

Software developers can add various "features" to the print dialog. These are usually listed in the dropdown as the Application name. Some developers roll their own print dialogs.

I almost never have to dig into the dropdown menu. For the items I use frequently, I create a preset.

Nov 11, 2013 2:02 PM in response to rebesh

yeah. would be super if mac could find a way to clean up the printer dialogs and add this pretty simple functionality.

sure makes finding printed documents easy when you can't find one in 2 GB of data. not sure what they think the alternative is. i guess i could just retype or redo the thing if i can't find the digital copy since the printed copy doesn't ID itself.

i find the printed dialogs absolutely mind-boggling even when i stay within the mac ecosystem for this. why i should have to spend ten minutes trying to find something as simple as - for instance - percent scaling or scale to fit or two sided prints or whatever /every/ time i print is maddening.

Nov 11, 2013 3:30 PM in response to hotwheels22

hotwheels 22 wrote:

sure makes finding printed documents easy when you can't find one in 2 GB of data. not sure what they think the alternative is.

Type a sentence from the document into Spotlight.

why i should have to spend ten minutes trying to find something as simple as - for instance - percent scaling or scale to fit or two sided prints or whatever /every/ time i print is maddening.

Percent scaling is on the main dialog unless it isn't supported.

Scale to fit is on Paper Handling.

It only took me 30 seconds to find that and confirm it in several apps. Hyperbole never impresses.

If you want all the printer options on one page in the Print Dialog, you'd need two monitors to display it all.

Individual apps provide the ability to print headers.

Nov 11, 2013 5:32 PM in response to Barney-15E

barney.

thanks. but searching in spotlight is not my idea of a good methodology. to start with - i /still/ cannot find a way to get spotlight to stop showing results for all my mail. this means that it is nearly impossible to see the results.

plus, wouldn't it be simpler to do something like give me the ability to print the name of the file on my documents as a default? i mean, is this too obvious or something?

also, there is no way anyone is going to be able to convince me that printing from mac is anything close to worked out. it is totally screwed up. anytime someone tries to defend this they say it is up to the manufacturer of the printer or up to the software company in the case of third party software. but this is ridiculous. this means i have three different macro variables (printer mrf, third party software and mac software) before i even get started.

i don't have time to document what a mess this is but there are a million examples of this.

why can't i do something as utterly /stupid/ as set printer defaults for rotation or not rotation or scaling to fit or not scaling to fit. i mean, this is so elemental that i cannot believe i still cannot set this. at one point there was the CUPS system??!! an online management tool for printer defaults? are you kidding me?

i'm on mavericks right now on the laptop and i guarantee you i could come up with five examples of extremely elemental printer operations that require scrolling through at least five or more pulldowns, tabs, dialogs etcetera.

i print to 12 x 18 and 11 x 17 paper and it took me a year to figure out how to do this on my brand new Epson Printer (can't spec paper as "18 x 12" irrespective of orientation and have to spec it as "12 x 18") and you have to go through a manual setup operation of at least seven clicktrhoughs EVERY SINGLE TIME you print to this size paper.

i'd be happy to discuss this at more length but it is obvious we don't have similar workflows so this would be useless IMHO.

not sure why you think that telling me how printer operations are working is going to help me get anything fixed.

seriously, is does it really make sense to /anyone/ that uses a mac for business to have to uncheck automatic rotation every single time you print? does it make sense that there /was/ a terminal command for this in Snow Leopard but not in Lion or Mountain Lion or - - - Mavericks dare i ask?

Nov 11, 2013 5:35 PM in response to hotwheels22

yeah, you know these dialogs are totally wack when someone coming from Windows wishes they had windows functionality for this need.

i mean, at one point i had the opportunity to get into Terminal to set Rotation or Scale to Fit options and now i don't have the option to do this and - think about it - i have to get into TERMINAL to set printer defaults for something as elemental as Rotation or Scale to Fit and now i don't even have this 'option'...??!!

Nov 11, 2013 5:43 PM in response to hotwheels22

oh yeah, on the epson printing to 11 x 17 or 12 x 18. you have to /manually/ move the paper tray to slot one. if you want to print to 11 x 17 you put the 11 x 17 tray in slot 1. if you want to print to 12 x 18 paper you have to take the 12 x 18 paper tray out of slot 2 and put /it/ in slot one.

you can't do something as simple as select Tray 1 or Tray 2 and print on the paper in that tray. you have to manually move it to the first slot!!

i suppose this is something to blame on epson but from what i have seen i would imagine that they already had their hands full dealing with mac printer changes and or messes...

Nov 11, 2013 7:41 PM in response to hotwheels22

hotwheels 22 wrote:

oh yeah, on the epson printing to 11 x 17 or 12 x 18. you have to /manually/ move the paper tray to slot one. if you want to print to 11 x 17 you put the 11 x 17 tray in slot 1. if you want to print to 12 x 18 paper you have to take the 12 x 18 paper tray out of slot 2 and put /it/ in slot one.

you can't do something as simple as select Tray 1 or Tray 2 and print on the paper in that tray. you have to manually move it to the first slot!!

i suppose this is something to blame on epson but from what i have seen i would imagine that they already had their hands full dealing with mac printer changes and or messes...

You should check the options in the printer driver. It apparently doesn't know you have multiple trays installed.

Nov 11, 2013 7:54 PM in response to hotwheels22

plus, wouldn't it be simpler to do something like give me the ability to print the name of the file on my documents as a default? i mean, is this too obvious or something?

You do. It's usually referred to as "headers" in the app where you created the document.

why can't i do something as utterly /stupid/ as set printer defaults for rotation or not rotation or scaling to fit or not scaling to fit. i mean, this is so elemental that i cannot believe i still cannot set this. at one point there was the CUPS system??!! an online management tool for printer defaults? are you kidding me?

I can set presets for Rotation, scaling to fit, and percent scale.

CUPS is the printing system

seriously, is does it really make sense to /anyone/ that uses a mac for business to have to uncheck automatic rotation every single time you print?

No, but for people wanting to print pictures out and fill the page, it does.

Nov 11, 2013 7:56 PM in response to hotwheels22

hotwheels 22 wrote:

yeah, you know these dialogs are totally wack when someone coming from Windows wishes they had windows functionality for this need.

I still can't find what I want to choose on the Windows print dialog. I click just about every tab before I find the page that has the setting I want.

Doesn't take me any time at all to find what I need on OS X.

What exactly is "Finishing?"

Print DOC TITLE and DATE in header or footer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.