Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad keyboard does not pop up

Since upgrading to the lastest iOS on my first generation iPad, the keyboard does not pop open when I need to type. The only way I can recover it is to turn off the iPad and turn it back on. This is getting annoying as it is happening constantly.

Anyone have any ideas of the cause or solutions?

iPad, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 5, 2011 7:34 PM

10 replies

Aug 11, 2017 8:17 AM in response to ClayG

I have the same problem now. My external keyboard connects to the iPad via the magnets just like the apple external keyboard. I assume this is not Bluetooth? Also, this just started after the last update. I have not had this problem until just recently. It would be a hassle to take my external cover and keyboard 30 feet away when needing to use the onboard keyboard. Help?

Aug 11, 2017 8:30 AM in response to Jefferis Peterson

I have the same problem now. My external keyboard connects to the iPad via the magnets just like the apple external keyboard. I assume this is not Bluetooth? Also, this just started after the last update. I have not had this problem until just recently. It would be a hassle to take my external cover and keyboard 30 feet away when needing to use the onboard keyboard. Help?

May 5, 2011 8:12 PM in response to ClayG

I thought it was in the accessibility section, but now that I think of it the last time I saw it was when I was pairing the Apple Wireless Keyboard, so it's probably automatic via Bluetooth. If the OP turns off Bluetooth the internal keyboard should start working again for reasons mentioned in your initial post. A lot of people have been locked out of the iPad because they'd use a Bluetooth keyboard and forget to turn it off, and then later they'd go to use the iPad but the iPad thinks you still want to use the Bluetooth keyboard instead of the internal one.... so the internal one never pops up.

ipad keyboard does not pop up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.