Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resize partition after removing Boot Camp

I encountered an issue today when trying to reclaim some space from an abandoned Boot Camp partition.

First, some background: I created a BOOTCAMP partition to install Windows, but never used it. So today, I erased that partition using Disk Utility, only to find that I was unable to grow my OSX volume ("Macintosh HD") to reclaim the space. Disk Utility kept spitting out an error about modifying the startup disk.

I played around with it for several hours until finally calling Apple Support. Eventually, one of the people I talked to helped me figure out the solution:

1. Open Disk Utility and re-create the BOOTCAMP partition, making sure it is formatted as MS-DOS.
  2. Open Boot Camp Assistant. You will be presented with the option to remove an exiting Windows installation. Choose it.
  3. Go through the screens, confirming that you want to delete the partition.
  4. Boot Camp Assistant will remove the "faked" BOOTCAMP partition and restore your OSX partition to its former glory.

Voilà!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 5, 2011 8:34 PM

1 reply

May 6, 2011 4:36 AM in response to sms391

Hi,

FYI:

the best way to remove your Windows partition is to use the BootCamp Assistant again which should give you the option to remove the made Windows partition and revert back to one OSX volume.

After that's done a reboot of your Mac might be advisable.

Only if that's not working (whatever the reason) :

1) boot your Mac from your OSX 10.6 install DVD

2) choose your language and then 'ignore' (cancel) the installation

3) from the Top Menu (Utilities) start Disk Utility (DU)

4) in DU click on your harddisk (not any partition) in the left pane (the first item listed)

5) in the right pane use the 'Partition'-Tab

6) click to highlight on the ex-Windows partition you want to delete

7) click on the small '-' Button at the bottom

That should delete your former Windows partition

After that's done successfully

8) Drag the partition separator line until it encompasses the entire drive and then select apply.

9) Quit Disk Utility

10) reboot your Mac from your harddisk.

Since you are 'fumbling' with your OSX partition you should consider having/making a backup of it before trying the a.m. procedure. Just in case.

Regards

Stefan

Resize partition after removing Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.