Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can see the photos, but not a single one

Ever since i upgraded to iLife '11, I have not had the ability in iPhoto to view a single photo. My library with all it's information is there, I have no issue viewing the list of events, faces, etc. and all photos show up in all the appropriate places. The one thing that no longer works, is that when I click to view a single photo - iPhoto shows nothing.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I have no idea what caused this. You'll notice that I access the system running iPhoto through desktop sharing (it's a headless Mac mini), but that should not be the issue. I've got 3GB of memory, and no speed or other resource issues whatsoever with this machine. I can play Quicktime video on this Mac mini and watch it through remote desktop! So ... clueless, to be honest.

The system runs OS X 10.6.7 with iPhoto 9.1.2.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted on May 6, 2011 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2011 8:16 AM

There are several possible causes for the Black Screen issue

*1. Permissions in the Library* : Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Include the option to check and repair permissions.

*2. Minor Database corruption*: Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild.

*3. A Damaged Photo*: Select one of the affected photos in the iPhoto Window and right click on it. From the resulting menu select 'Show File (or 'Show Original File' if that's available). Will the file open in Preview? If not then the file is damaged. Time to restore from your back up.

*4. A corrupted iPhoto Cache*: Trash the com.apple.iPhoto folder from HD/Users/Your Name/Library/ Caches...

*5. A corrupted preference file*: Trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file from the HD/Users/ Your Name / library / preferences folder. (Remember you'll need to reset your User options afterwards. These include minor settings like the window colour and so on. Note: If you've moved your library you'll need to point iPhoto at it again.)

If none of these help:

As a Test:

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'

Import a few pics into this new, blank library. Is the Problem repeated there?

Regards

TD

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2011 8:16 AM in response to Rob de Jonge

There are several possible causes for the Black Screen issue

*1. Permissions in the Library* : Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Include the option to check and repair permissions.

*2. Minor Database corruption*: Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild.

*3. A Damaged Photo*: Select one of the affected photos in the iPhoto Window and right click on it. From the resulting menu select 'Show File (or 'Show Original File' if that's available). Will the file open in Preview? If not then the file is damaged. Time to restore from your back up.

*4. A corrupted iPhoto Cache*: Trash the com.apple.iPhoto folder from HD/Users/Your Name/Library/ Caches...

*5. A corrupted preference file*: Trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file from the HD/Users/ Your Name / library / preferences folder. (Remember you'll need to reset your User options afterwards. These include minor settings like the window colour and so on. Note: If you've moved your library you'll need to point iPhoto at it again.)

If none of these help:

As a Test:

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'

Import a few pics into this new, blank library. Is the Problem repeated there?

Regards

TD

I can see the photos, but not a single one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.