Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having problems with vlookup function

Here is a sample of my sheet that I am having issues with. I need to get the names of the Top 5 scores. In the Top 5 column, I have used the =LARGE() function to grab the 1-5th place scores. I would like to also pair that with the Name next to the score. I know a simple sort would do the trick, however, I would prefer a formula to automate the info for me.

Everytime I create the vlookup formula, I get a formula error. My formula is as follows:

=VLOOKUP(D2,$A$1:$B$19,A1:A19,0)

The error returned is that it is finding "Anthony Cavanaugh" in value 3 where a number is expected.

Anthony Cavanaugh

Top 5

Name

Anthony Cristaldi

Carmen Torbus

Catherine Saks

Chris Justus

Chuck Gardner

Dan Torbus

Dave Staton

Dylan Byars

Glen Allen

Jeff Strickland

Jesse Andrus

Jon Andrus

Kevin Markowitz

Martin Jacobs

Shawn Craver

Warren Vorreyer

Wayne Edwards

Posted on May 6, 2011 8:17 AM

6 replies

May 6, 2011 9:25 AM in response to AHALEY

ok. I figured out my first issue (syntax) and have the results I am looking for. However, As you may see, there are some duplicate rankings. If one of my top 5 spots is shared among multiple people, is there a way to have the vlookup function provide the next person for the duplicate?

John S 56

Bob Dole 99

Betty D 56

Clinton P 56

Jane Doe 70

For the Top 5 (my result)

Bob Dole 99

Jane Doe 70

Betty D 56

Betty D 56

Betty D 56

What I would like is:

Top 5

Bob Dole 99

Jane Doe 70

Betty D 56

Clinton P 56

-OR-

if there are duplicates, return a result as a conditional format or something else.....

May 6, 2011 1:50 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

I am also using the RANK function as another route, but end up at the same place, unfortunately. Since scores and ranks change from week to week, the VLOOKUP function appears to be the best way for me in order to not have to manually sort the sheet each time scores are updated.

We are also using weekly averages to break ties, but I need to rank based on a point total as mentioned earlier, then default to weekly 4 game averages for the tie breakers. See below: (point totals, rank column hidden)

Total Points

Name

Adam Haley

Anthony Cavanaugh

Anthony Cristaldi

Carmen Torbus

Catherine Saks

Chris Justus

Chuck Gardner

Dan Torbus

Dave Staton

Dylan Byars

Glen Allen

Jeff Strickland

Jesse Andrus

Jon Andrus

Kevin Markowitz

Martin Jacobs

Shawn Craver

Warren Vorreyer

Wayne Edwards

Next, I have ranked these in another sheet to auto-sort for me, but come up against duplicates: (using the RANK function, then Vlookup for the name with the rank)

PLACEMENT

NAME

Martin Jacobs

Jon Andrus

Glen Allen

Chris Justus

Chris Justus

Chris Justus

Wayne Edwards

Anthony Cristaldi

Dave Staton

Dave Staton

Dave Staton

Dave Staton

Anthony Cavanaugh

Dan Torbus

Dylan Byars

Adam Haley

Adam Haley

Catherine Saks

Jesse Andrus

and the tiebreaker will come off this sheet, where we have weekly averages

SHARK

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Adam Haley

Anthony Cavanaugh

Anthony Cristaldi

Carmen Torbus

Catherine Saks

Chris Justus

Chuck Gardner

Dan Torbus

Dave Staton

Dylan Byars

Glen Allen

Jeff Strickland

Jesse Andrus

Jon Andrus

Kevin Markowitz

Martin Jacobs

Shawn Craver

Warren Vorreyer

Wayne Edwards

Just not sure how to handle the duplicates on that second sheet in order to apply these as the tie-breaker

May 6, 2011 2:24 PM in response to AHALEY

If you already have a scheme for tie breaking, you're set to go. My favorite tie break scheme is to handle it before ranking, not after. That way you will never have to deal with a tie and you can use either LARGE or RANK without any problem.

Of course you'll want to use LOOKUP no matter what other choices you make because, as you say, it prevents having to sort.

Here's the tie-break scheme. Your total points score is in the 1-100 range and your weekly average is in the 0 to 1000 range. Create a tie-broken TotalPoints aux. column that consists of TotalPoints + WeeklyAverage/10,000. Now two otherwise equal TotalPoints scores will be offset by the difference in their WeeklyAverage scores, divided by 10,000. Unless their weekly averages are identical, there will be no tie. If there is still a possibility of a tie, take a third factor and add it in an even smaller fraction.

Jerry

May 7, 2011 2:41 AM in response to AHALEY

Hello.

As I'm not hunting points, I give my two cents in a thread flagged as responded.

User uploaded file

In cell C1 is the formula :

=COUNTIF(B,">="&B1)+ROW()/100000

In cell D1 is the formula :

=ROW()

Select columns C & D and apply Fill Down.

In E2, the formula is :

=LARGE(B,ROW()-1)

I applied Fill Down to the entire column because I wanted to show that in this case six records are in the five best ranks.

In F2, the formula is :

=OFFSET($A$1,VLOOKUP(SMALL(C,ROW()-1),C:D,2)-1,0)

Apply fill down to fill six rows.

No need for sort, correct treatment of equalities.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) 7 mai 2011 11:41:21

Having problems with vlookup function

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.