Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions won't stay repaired

Prior to upgrading to Snow Leopard, I ran Disk Utility and repaired permissions. I assumed the permissions actually got repaired, since Disk Utility said they did.

I installed Snow Leopard and ran Disk Utility again to repair permissions again, (I run Disk Utility before and after installing software updates), and found that it seemed like the same list of permissions that needed repair the first time needed it again.

I verified the disk and verification stopped and said I needed to repair the disk by starting from an install disc. I did that, but Disk Utility could find nothing to repair. I ran it again to be sure and the disk passed verification.

I restarted on my hard drive and ran Disk Utility to repair permissions again and once again, the same long list of faulty permissions were in need of repair and Disk Utility said it was repairing them.

At the end of the permissions repair log is this message:

"Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent" has been modified and will not be repaired."

Could this be the source of my problems? Can I delete this file? Do I need it? I don't use Apple Remote Desktop, and I assume it has something to do with Apple Remote Desktop.

Below is the complete log from one round of permissions repair:

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/dt.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/dt.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jce.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jce.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jconsole.ja r", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jconsole.ja r".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/management- agent.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/management- agent.jar".

User differs on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib", should be 0, user is 95.

Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/dt.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/dt.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/jce.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/jce.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/management -agent.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/management -agent.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/security/b lacklist", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/security/b lacklist".

User differs on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries", should be 0, user is 95.

Repaired "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Repaired "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Repaired "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.b undle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Repaired "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.b undle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/dt.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/dt.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/jce.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/jce.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/jconsole.jar ", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/jconsole.jar ".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/management-a gent.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/management-a gent.jar".

User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib", should be 95, user is 0.

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/dt.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/dt.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/jce.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/jce.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/management- agent.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/management- agent.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/security/bl acklist", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/security/bl acklist".

User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libraries", should be 95, user is 0.

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libraries".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPlugin Cocoa.bundle", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPlugin Cocoa.bundle".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPlugin Cocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPlugin Cocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPlugin Cocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPlugin Cocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/ Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/ Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/ Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/ Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/ Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/ Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib".

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Quad Core Intel Xeon

Posted on May 6, 2011 8:20 AM

29 replies

May 6, 2011 3:56 PM in response to SimonJester753

I have a couple of suggestions for you.

First, learn how to search the discussions. This topic comes up literally every day, often several times in a day. The errors are meaningless and you can ignore them.

Second, don't repair permissions so much. In fact, don't do it at all unless you have a very specific reason to think it's necessary. The two times when it's most certain not to be necessary are (1) before and (2) after a system installation. Otherwise it's a waste of time, despite its huge and enduring popularity.

May 6, 2011 7:52 PM in response to Linc Davis

Well, SOMETHING is wrong with the computer. It now takes around 5 minutes to access our company file server on the network. I click on the drive I want to access and the little wheel spins in the lower right corner of the window. This didn't happen before upgrading to Snow Leopard.

I'm well aware that there are some permissions warnings that can be ignored, but I've never had such a HUGE list of them that would not get repaired. Sometimes I'd get a big list, but most of them would get fixed, while one or two would persist.

May 6, 2011 8:56 PM in response to SimonJester753

So this laundry list of permissions that won't get fixed and my network problems just BOTH happen to pop up right after I upgrade to Snow Leopard and it's just a coincidence?

No, it's not a coincidence. The spurious permission errors are a bug in Snow Leopard, as you would already know if you'd searched the discussions. Everyone who repairs permissions in Snow Leopard gets the same messages. Quite possibly you're running something that's incompatible with Snow Leopard, and that's what's causing the problem. The spurious errors are not causing it.

I'll keep the topic going. If you don't like it don't comment.

I am going to comment. You're asking for free help from strangers who volunteer their time here. Starting with wrong preconceptions and a poor attitude, you're going to get poor results.

Oct 19, 2011 6:01 AM in response to SimonJester753

Having had the exact same problem as SimonJester753, with the same actions tried & repeated, living in a very isolated non-Mac world, with only wonderful David Pogue and Safe Mode to get me to the outside world, I turned to a general google search which brought me to this page. It was very reassuring to see someone who was also trying to solve his computer problems without simply resorting to calling the good folks at Apple (a very $$$ call for me, as there was a minimum wait of 15 min for overseas help), while very clearly sharing the details of what had worked and what hadn't. I do not understand Linc Davis's rather snippety replies to someone who turned to the Apple community for help. Isn't that the point of a forum? My goodness. Thank you, Simon, for having shared & for having continued to share, despite the negativity. You certainly helped me - and with a very friendly, sharing, Apple mentality. Cheers

Oct 19, 2011 6:12 AM in response to langata

I'll bite.

While you can safely ignore those permissions errors, I can understand why you went through that process.

Can you give us a little more information regarding your company's file server- OS / version, connection methods, protocol etc?

I did expereince some changes when we upgraded some of our computer labs to snow leopard, so I can commiserate. What OS did you upgrade from, 10.4?

Dec 3, 2012 11:54 AM in response to SimonJester753

sLow leopard seems to be apple's successful attempt at outbugging windows millenium edition AND vista. it is buggy and most solutions are complete guesswork, working for some and not for others.

i am also having permission issues after reinstalling (not upgrading, just a clean reformatted reinstall) sLow leopard, though different from yours (iPhoto doesnt open iPhoto libraries because it says that i dont have permissions to write to my own file/directory (i have tried everything under the sun - always running as owner/admin - including copying the file to various folders).

from what i see, the best solution seems to be completing avoiding the leopards, regular and sLow, if possible.

Dec 3, 2012 11:59 AM in response to shldr2thewheel

To be quite honest, it is a waste of time to regularly repair permissions. If you check permissions, there will always be permissions to repair. This is advice I recieved directly from Apple and have found it to be true.

what you say is the same as saying: "it is useless to call 911 - the cop i asked told me that the police is uncapable of handling criminals".

while i do not dispute that a. it IS a waste of time; b. apple support says that you should disconsider their ineffective diagnostic utilities; it is absolutely ludicrous that apple should sell software that does not work properly.

Sep 29, 2013 9:30 PM in response to tonygil

Yes, this discussion does appear all over these forums, and everybody says to just read this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

But please notice that the above Apple Support list of "okay" errors does NOT include any lines that say "repaired". When you see "repaired" that means actual permissions were repaired, or repaired again.
The poster at top DOES have "repaired" in his list... and mine too! .. after repairing permissions. It keeps repairing the exact same permissions on every run, hundreds of them. NOT merely lines that say "permissions differ" etc etc, but actual lines that say "repaired".. Nobody, and I mean nobody that I can find on these forums actually addresses this, nor in any support articles.

Thank you for your help, sombody!

Mar 13, 2014 2:10 AM in response to worldpoop

Brilliant username. The funny thing is, I was blocked from whatever discussion this branched into.

Some permissions problems will recur- like those related to your printer, etc. If the handling differs from the basic instructions in your OS, you'll get a value change- such as letting the printer or Adobe, Canon, etc) manage colors. Factors in updates, whether to the OS, propriety software, plug in modules or 3rd party stuff can occasionally cause conflicting permissions. Usually fixing them will rewrite the proper values according to the update, or it will default and you'll get an error again.

But, the ARD/Remote Management thing is different. I'll let you reason out what or who could want to remotely view or 'manage' anything on your computer (that is not Apple). If you send me $7.95 in shipping and handling via Paypal, I'll mail you a fashionable tin foil hat. I've received a lot of 'compliments' on mine.

My cure is simple: I remove everything related to remote management from the system. Expose all hidden files. Turn off the wifi. Go into the system files while logged in as your admin. Unclick every little lock from each file within the folder and make them read/writeable by everyone so you can delete it, and then force empty the trash- be sure to securely empty it as well (Finder preferences), then restart. Should be clear. You may have to do it again after any update that alters your firmware (EFI or SMC), and if you have to reinstall your OS.

I find it strange that they haven't yet made this a completely undetectable background operation, but I'm sure they'll get around to it. I have to wonder if it's not Apple's way of creating plausible deniability should the connections be made (i.e we had no choice). I just don't care. It's a pain to go through all this, and it's stupid that my system should be buggy and/or slow because someone wants to see what I'm up to. There has to be a way to do that which doesn't affect system performance, and I hope they sort it out soon. Til then, get used to picking locks.

Jul 25, 2014 4:52 PM in response to SimonJester753

hey bro....

did you ever get an answer that actually answered your question? i have the EXACT same issue....HUGE list of permissions that continually need to be 'repaired'...it says they get repaired, then when i run fix permissions the same **** list comes up as repaired again.....

should i just ignore the ENTIRE HUGE LIST? is there something im not doing that should be?

please help....any would be totally appreciated.... 😉

cwick

Permissions won't stay repaired

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.