Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Print on Roll Paper

Hi. Trying to print on roll paper for the first time, and rapidly going hairless.

I want my prints to use as much of the paper as possible, without being cropped. So if I have a 2:3 image and I'm printing on (say an Epson 9900 loaded with) 24" paper, I want my image to be either 24"x36" borderless, or, with a 1" margin (for example), 22"x33".

I have tried all the custom and preset sizes, and Aperture so far has insisted on limiting the long dimension to 24" or 30" (depending on the setting).

Fwiw, I actually want to print w. a margin. And I want to print the full width of the roll (24"), and use as much length as needed.

Thanks. A quick reply is appreciated -- I'm trying to print now, and have use of the 9900 for another hour or so.

(I'm sure I'm doing something ignorant.) Thanks.

Posted on May 6, 2011 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2011 11:34 AM

Are you selecting roll paper in the print dialog?

User uploaded file

16 replies

May 6, 2011 12:00 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby Krieger wrote:

I've tried 'em all. 😠

With "Roll Paper" selected, I am allowed only one input dimension. Seems this should be the roll width.

I just tried 36" for the roll paper size, and am getting something close to what I want. The image is not centered (the margins are wrong) but it looks like I'll get something close to 23.5" x 35".

May 6, 2011 12:06 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

On this set-up, that results in a print rotated 90° from what you expect, with the printer clever enough to stop printing a couple of mm from the paper edge. The image is the right size -- but the printer prints only the right-hand 2/3rds of it.

I'm paying $4.50/sq. ft. ... of course, when people ask me for "pro" answers I usually think, "Hire a pro". So I'm paying my apprentice dues. 😁

The prints, fwiw, are shockingly fabulous, and deeply pleasing.

May 7, 2011 5:18 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Still working on this. Thanks for your timely help yesterday. The interaction of all of the paper and image and margin sizes and orientation has not proven to be (yet) predictable when selecting any of the roll paper settings.

I'm rather surprised at this.

As a side note, prints from the 9900 show a greater dynamic range than those from the 3880. The colors are indistinguishable to the naked eye, but the increased dynamic range makes the 9900 prints appear a little brighter -- as if just washed.

Of course, this could be caused by different profiles, etc. (I'm using Epson Hot Press Natural on each, but haven't tested fresh prints made from paper from the same package.)

Thanks again. I was in a bit of a pinch yesterday. I was able to print what I needed. Cheers.

Nov 13, 2011 9:23 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

I'm trying to print on a roll paper with my Epson R2400 and I Aperture won't let me use the full width of my 13" roll.

I've got a little yellow caution sign on the upper right corner of the image:

User uploaded file

My print paramter are:

Paper size: Roll

Orientation: Landscape

Image Size: Maximum to fit

No Margin

User uploaded file

If I hit the print button, then I've got an error message from the printer driver saying basically that the paper use is no in l ine with the print parameters.

I double checked my roller and the paper in the printer, everything seems OK, the printer loaded the paper fine.

If I reduce the width of my print tu 29cm then the image is printed but it's not in the middle on the page and I've got a huge margin on one side.

Any thought ?

Thanks

Feb 24, 2012 4:10 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

I use the following technique, which works consistently:

1) Specify the Paper Size as Custom rather than Roll, giving the Width (first spec) as the actual roll paper width (ie. 44 inches), and the Length (second spec) as the height (or width) of the paper cut you want. [This avoids ambiguities about where the paper is going to be cut, and assures the image is centered on the paper.]

2) Specifiy the image size exactly as you want it, always specifying the Width (first spec) as the side of the image you want to run across the paper (therefore, it is always shorter than the actual width of the paper roll).

The next two steps are taken on the menu that appears when you hit the Print Button, by clicking the Layout Button and proceeding as follows:

3) Within Printer Settings, select Roll Paper (avoid Roll - Banner because it does not allow automatic rotation of the image).

4) Within Roll Paper Settings, select Auto Rotate under Auto Cut Settings. Note that the width of your paper roll will appear in the box to the right. This will confirm that you set the proper roll width in Step 1 above. (Remember, you must first set Roll Paper in step 3 above, before it will let you specifiy Auto Rotate.)

Done!

Sep 4, 2012 12:32 AM in response to TomGiske

Hi Tom, I did that a few days ago and I though I was on the right way, so I printed two copies of a photo, but one by one. I specified a custom size paper with 17 inch wide and 13 inch height. Within that papersize I set my image size to 16 by 12 inch and printed. The paper came out of my Epson 11880 rotated and the size was perfect, but o wonder, the image was not correct: The first image was only 15.5 inch wide, the second printed with the same settings was 16.5 inch wide, the height scaled proportionally in both cases.

I do not have any trouble printing as you wrote from a book layout from Aperture, because that doesn't use the stupid Aperture print dialog.

For my images, I had them to export, scale them in Photoshop to the wanted dimensions and printed them with Preview – what a wonderful long workflow.

Beside: I use Aperture 3.3.2 with OS Lion 10.7.4

Print on Roll Paper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.