Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install of Win 7 will not continue.

Hello there,

I want to install Windows 7 via Boot Camp and using a MacbookPro (about 14 month old).

What I have here is the Install CD of Win 7, Mac OSX Snow Leopard and some Version of Bootcamp.

Here is the first problem, I can`t find the information what version of BootCamp I have. All system updating is done...

I read a few articels that say I need to have the 3.1 Update. So downloading it and finding an .exe file. Ok, read I have to install it in Windows.

So I need an update to install something but can only update after installing?

Downloading the BootCamp Version 3.0 is not possible, it seems not to exist, only updates.

But I tried to install. After the partition it starts with the win 7 disk in the CD-Case. Starting - New Windows - liscensing - and than choosing the path. So i choose the path of BOOTCAMP. But than I can`t go further, its not possible. The option to update is there, but nothing happens. The other option is drift, but it can`t find anything there. I even tried an extern drive where I put the Bootcamp update and the Mac OSX CD on it (as I can`t change a CD while the windows CD is inside), but that doesn`t change anything.

Does anyone have a clue and can help me?

Thanks a lot!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 6, 2011 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2011 4:07 PM

Re-read the guide in Boot Camp Assistant or pdf - it really is all there.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp

That has links to downloads, tech support articles and more.

Just partition and boot from Windows 7 DVD (not CD)

When it asks where, the pdf guide tells you to select "BOOTCAMP" partition but also, Advanced Option to change it (format) to NTFS.

Don't worry about versions, just use your Mac OS as is, and when Windows is done installing then insert your OS X DVD and run SETUP.exe which will be BC 3.0. ONLY then can it be updated to 3.1 and finally to 3.2, either manually or through Windows Apple Software Update (part of BC 3.0).

YOU DO NOT NEED 3.1 - or, if you do, it is only that 3.0 came out before Windows 7 shipped (hence buggy).

At this point in time, those should be re-written, as you really need 3.2 update.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2011 4:07 PM in response to Mr.Moe

Re-read the guide in Boot Camp Assistant or pdf - it really is all there.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp

That has links to downloads, tech support articles and more.

Just partition and boot from Windows 7 DVD (not CD)

When it asks where, the pdf guide tells you to select "BOOTCAMP" partition but also, Advanced Option to change it (format) to NTFS.

Don't worry about versions, just use your Mac OS as is, and when Windows is done installing then insert your OS X DVD and run SETUP.exe which will be BC 3.0. ONLY then can it be updated to 3.1 and finally to 3.2, either manually or through Windows Apple Software Update (part of BC 3.0).

YOU DO NOT NEED 3.1 - or, if you do, it is only that 3.0 came out before Windows 7 shipped (hence buggy).

At this point in time, those should be re-written, as you really need 3.2 update.

Install of Win 7 will not continue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.