Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Bootcamp Assistant: no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Hello Guys,

I got a problem setting up Windows 7 on my recently bought 13" MacBook Pro (2,3Ghz Core i5).

I used the bootcamp assistent to create a partition of 50GB on my Mac, everything is fine until now. I insert the Windows 7 disk and follow the instructions. But when I restart in spite of starting the installation of Windows 7, a black screen appears with a note saying "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". To exit this screen I then have to restart my Computer again, holding down the alt-key. In the following window I can just chose my Mac-Harddrive to boot from, the partition is not shown.

I used the software actualization tool to update to version 10.6.7 which is the most recent one i think.

The Windows 7 CD I use is actually a burned one. My University is a member of the msdn academic alliance and therefore offers me to download microsoft software for my work. I stress out that this is absolutly legal, I will only be allowed to use the software unitl I finished my studyings.

So as I said, I downloaded the Version of Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1 (x64) on my computer and then burned on a DVD. I want to add, that the file I downloaded turned out to be an iso file. At first, I just burned this file on a DVD but since it turned out that i got the above mentioned message, I burned a second DVD with the actual files of the iso (with foldernames like autorun.inf, boot, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi, efi, setup.exe, sources support, and upgrade)

I dont know if these details are of any relevance, but i guess it may be useful since I believe that the burning thing could cause the problems.

I have already browsed the Forum for quite some time now, but I didnt find a case with the exact same problem that I have, so I decided to rather ask you for help now instead of killing my brain like I did before (and I dont really have a clue neither of Macbooks nor of Windows-Computers, its always try and error for me)

I hope somebody can come up with some helpful ideas or a solution.

If you need further details on my system or anything, please feel free to ask

Thank you very much,

David

Posted on May 6, 2011 4:15 PM

1 reply

May 6, 2011 4:48 PM in response to DaveK2805

The Windows 7 CD I use is actually a burned one. My University is a member of the msdn academic alliance and therefore offers me to download microsoft software for my work. I stress out that this is absolutly legal, I will only be allowed to use the software unitl I finished my studyings.

Apple Disk Utility won't do a proper job and won't work (and it varies, some can start the install but fails later) Has to be burned at 2X Reduced Burn Speed

Also check the support articles for bootcamp

Apple Boot Camp Support

Problems with Bootcamp Assistant: no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.