Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfer a file from PC to iPad

To transfer a file from my PC (windows 7) to iPad, the manual reads

"1 Connect iPad to your computer.

2 In iTunes, select iPad in the Devices list, then click Apps at the top of the screen.

3 In the File Sharing section, click Add."

I have been at point 2 many times, but nothing happens when I click iWorks apps (Numbers, Pages Keynotes), that would bring me to point 3. "File Sharing section" does not appear at all. Can someone advise? Thanks.

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 6, 2011 3:54 PM

2 replies

May 15, 2012 2:52 AM in response to arielh

Trying to transfer files from a PC to an iPad following Apple's instructions doesn't work. This does:

1. Install Dropbox on both your PC and and your iPad.
  2. On your iPad, open the file you want to transfer to your PC.
  3. Under the wrench symbol, go "Share and Print" > "Send to iTunes." Choose the type of file you want to send.
  4. Connect your iPad to your PC and open iTunes.
  5. In iTunes, choose your iPad from the list in the left column.
  6. Still in iTunes, choose Apps.
  7. Scroll down to "File Sharing" and choose the app with which you created the document. The file you sent to iTunes is here.
  8. Highlight the file and choose "Save To."
  9. A Windows dialogue box, "Select Folder," appears.
  10. Find the Dropbox folder on your PC and click "Select Folder." Your file is now in Dropbox.
  11. On your iPad, open Dropbox to see the file you saved.
  12. Tap the file. In the upper right corner of your iPad, tap the arrow. A dialogue will ask you what app you want to open the file in.
  13. Choose the app, and, as they say in Australia, Bob's your Uncle!

The steps outlined above works with iWorks documents.

Jan 17, 2013 1:29 AM in response to arielh

It is not possible (at this time) to use iCloud to move files between the computer and PC (with the exception of the iWorks apps). DropBox and/or Box.net are better services for this. Hold in mind that there is no general file system on the iPad, so no matter what you do you can't just dump files on the iPad and get to them with any app.

And there is a article about How to transfer and move files from PC to iPad, which includes a detailed guide to help you move your iPad files to computer easily.

Hope it help you a lot.

transfer a file from PC to iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.