Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime API Bug

Users of Adobe After Effects CS5 and CS5.5 are hamstringed by an ongoing fault with a Quicktime API. Rendering a QT file of over 2GB to a network drive fails, which can be disastrous to many collaborative workflow environments, where rendering to local drives is not possible or logical.

This problem occurred following the transition of Adobe After Effects to 64 bit. The old QT 32bit (working) API was replaced by Apple with a new one. Trouble is, the new one has a bug. That bug has now existed for over a year. The bug has prompted an ongoing, year-long discussion at the Adobe After Effects User To User Forums.

Apple, this is a MAJOR issue for your professional customers. This issue strangles the workflow of THOUSANDS of users every day. Surely you aren't just sitting on your hands until the release of OS 10.7? Please, help us by addressing this serious flaw urgently.

This topic was raised last year by another poster:

I've been flaming the Adobe engineers pretty heavily on the Adobe forums about a nasty bug in After Effects CS5 that prevents the program from writing quicktime files >2GB to a network drive (AFP).

Apparently the bug isn't actually in the AFX code, but in the "new QuickTime Compression Session API that Apple asked [Adobe] to use" ... specifically "AddMediaSample2 has a bug that AddMediaSample1 doesn't. That is when you hit 2.15 gigs on an AFP volume, the function returns -1309 (fileBoundsErr) and we are stuck and can't do anything else."

Do you think you guys could spare an engineer or two from your new consumer products empire to support some of the pro stuff you used to care about in the good old days?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2586851

Many, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on May 6, 2011 5:37 PM

17 replies

May 7, 2011 9:12 PM in response to andysayshi

This is a devastating, worflow destroying bug that has been driving the professional After Effects (and RedCine) communities crazy since July of 2010. The word from Adobe is that they implemented 64bit functionality in After Effects CS5 that relies on a broken quicktime API from Apple that has never been corrected. Apparently the inability to render files larger than 2.15GB to an AFP volume is still broken even with CS5.5 and OSX10.7 ... I've been complaining bitterly on Adobe's forums for months, and posted the above message on an Apple forum back in September. Adobe has at least takent he time to respond (however innefectually) to everyone's increasing frustration with this impasse, but Apple's complete lack of help or feedback is a serious indictment of the company's commitment to the professional user community.

If Apple has any intention of remaining a professional video creation platform it's incredibly important that this API bug be corrected asap. If Apple only wants to create shiny consumer devices in the future, please let us all know so we can start ramping up on our linux skills.

May 18, 2011 7:13 PM in response to andysayshi

This is a terrible bug that causes a lot of undo file copy time and cripples our network rendering solutions when using QuickTime which serves the needs of our editorial department. I have found this bug to be prevalent with not only Adobe AfterEffects but with QuickTime Pro exports, Compressor transcoding operations and Redcine as well. It's terribly frustrating that we have an infersturutre that includes a SAN, 2 X Serves and a Prommise RAID but we can't get a file out over 2.15 that everyone can share with out first rendering to a desktop and then copying the files to our network servers. This slows down the pace of business terribly and it needs to be fixed ASAP.

Adobe has been very transparent about this issue but we have not seen any public recognition of this issue on the part of Apple. Please, repair the API and give us back our workflow!

As a footnote, the statement info that Adobe provided which suggests that SMB is a workaround to AFP is apparently false, we have not been able to get that to work applications which have the problem over AFP. Apple provided Adobe with the information that SMB was a work around.

May 18, 2011 7:18 PM in response to andysayshi

If you have the ability to connect to a network Server over NFS you will not have this issue. I have had this problem for a long time with both Shake and Nuke. Not sure what is different about NFS but there is no limitation on file size. I just tested CS 5 and Nuke and both fail when connecting to our server over SMB, but when connecting over NFS everything works fine.

Shame on Apple and Quicktime. Quicktime is my worst nightmare in our environment and trying to manage all of it's flaws in a professional environment is such a waste of time

May 18, 2011 9:11 PM in response to andysayshi

It should be noted that this also affects Premiere and any other 64-bit application trying to write a QuickTime file over a network connection.

This bug has been around for years. Apple, if you are awaiting an invitation, consider yourself invited. Apple, if you don't think this is important, then Windows is looking more and more attractive to the Professional community that you are slowly but surely ignoring throughout your company and future plans.

Why is it that it seems that iCrap is getting all the resources even as the Mac business was growing?

May 31, 2011 3:33 AM in response to andysayshi

I too have run into this nightmare of a problem; I even created an account just to lodge my dispare on these forums!

We have just undertaken a program of upgrading from CS4 & OSX 10.4/5 to CS5 & 10.6.7 - if we had know of such a catastophic bug, we wouldn't have bothered with either of the softwares (and most likely shifted to another platform).

We have these machines tightly integrated into our infrastructure (with LDAP authenication and autofs). Our main storage is a 92Tb store served over NFS (auto mounted with autofs), and I simply cannot believe such a fundamental bug still exists so long after these products were realeased.

Apple: whatever your issues with Adobe over recent times have been, you better start addressing this fundamental bug or you risk lossing many long time customers and your most established user base.

Jul 21, 2011 8:15 PM in response to andysayshi

I am now having my fun with this stupid bug that Apple just does not seem to have time for. Thanks Apple...for once again kicking your professional clientel to the curb (ala FCP X). I guess you want to simply sell iPads & iPhones and let everything else go to pot. Man this is so upsetting. I have been an Apple Fanboy for 15 years and this year has been the worst as far as Apple nightmares goes.

How about throwing a good ol' fanboy a bone and fixing this heinous API BUG?!?!?

PLEASE!!!!!!

QuickTime API Bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.