Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am having problems getting my ATV2 to recognize the network when connected via ethernet

I am having problems getting my atv2 to connect via ethernet. I recently purchased an atv2 and quickly had it up and running on my home wireless network. Said network consists of a motorola surfboard providing cable high-speed connection to an airport extreme. From the airport extreme, there is an imac connected via ethernet, and two macbook pros, and ipad, and an itouch connected via wifi. I wanted to increase the speed by using a wired ethernet connection, so I ran a cat6 cable from my airport extreme to the atv2. When I did this, the atv2 lost its wireless connection (as it should have), but was unable to find the network. It will show the network name under the connection, but on the menu I lose all functionality. As soon as I unplug the cable the wireless immediately picks up the signal and the system is up and running. I thought there may be an issue with the ATV and the router, so I connected my MBP to the ethernet and quickly had a connection established. I also thought there may be an issue with the router (airport extreme), so I connected directly to the motorola surfboard modem used for the cable internet - still no worky. Any thoughts what I am missing here?

AppleTV 2, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 6, 2011 9:21 PM

2 replies

May 6, 2011 9:43 PM in response to HnMonster

The only thought I have is that an ethernet connection probably won't have anymore speed than a wifi signal since the limiting factor is the speed of the home internet connection. Mine happens to be around 6-8 Mbps which is a LOT lower than what ethernet is capable of providing. I believe most wifi devices advertise a max of 108Mbps and even half of that at 54Mbps still is way below what most internet providers offer in the way of speed.

IF the above is true, why even bother with ethernet?

May 6, 2011 9:50 PM in response to Macaby

First - thanks for the input!

I have read some other issues on other questions that have had similar comments. I am actually getting a much faster connection (20 Mbps) when using the ethernet v wifi (10 Mbps). The only reason I can think of is the fact that with 4 boys (all with toys that use wifi) they may be impacting the capacity of the wifi. Only conjecture on my part, but the difference is noticeable. Either way, you may end up being totally correct. Nonetheless, I still can't get the atv to see the internet when connected with ethernet. The big issue to me seems to be why in the world the atv isn't even recognizing the existence of the web.

I am having problems getting my ATV2 to recognize the network when connected via ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.