Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! No sound in iMovie, Mother's Day Project is Failing!

OK, so I decided to convert all our old home movies from our tape-based video camera to digital and make a home movie collection/DVD for my wife for Mother's day. The kids are psyched, etc. - all good.

Using a video converter, I coverted all our old tapes to digital mp4 files. Each 2 hour tape converted to roughly 2gb files each and they all play fine in itunes and quicktime. Yes, this was 16 hours worht of converting as they run real-time. I imported all 8 to a single event in imovie 09 and started dragging clips to a new project.

As of this afternoon, all the files would play in the imovie preview window with audio -- everythign was working perfectly. Tonight I go downstairs to try to finish the job and I can get no sound out of any previewing of the content in the event view or the project view. No audio at all. I double checked the files play with audio again outside of imovie. Nothing i try recovers the audio and I have found countless "no audio" posts on the internet regarding imovie, but I have found no solution

HELP! Mother's day is at risk here! 😟

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Imac 3.06 gnhz i3, 4 gb Ram

Posted on May 6, 2011 11:13 PM

4 replies

May 7, 2011 2:11 AM in response to peakay

I'm assuming that the audio is embedded in the video track (that is, as recorded by the camera). Double-click on the video thumbnails to bring up the Inspector. In the Audio tab, Ducking should be turned off. Turn it on then off a couple of times by checking (ticking) and unchecking the check box. Also, check to see if the volume slider is set to an appropriate level (default is 100%). Click Done then try playing it again.

One question: If you are using iMovie '11, can you see the waveform in the thumbnails (or in any other audio tracks you've added). To turn waveforms on, click on the waveform icon at the bottom right of both the Events window and the Projects window (immediately to the left of the thumbnail slider).

John

HELP! No sound in iMovie, Mother's Day Project is Failing!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.