Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could not sign in to facetime

I'm on an iMac (Intel i5) with Mac OSX 10.6.7

Downloaded FaceTime for mac last night,

after typing Apple ID & password, it shows

"Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again."

But my internet is working fine. My Mac is connected to both AirPort & Ethernet.

What can I do to sort this problem out?

FaceTime for Mac-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 7, 2011 2:02 AM

10 replies

Jun 4, 2011 9:01 AM in response to Joey Tsung

Hello!

I had a problem with the face time beta for ages, where it would just hang.

The solution for me was changing the DNS address in system prefs.

So what I had to do was go to system preferences > Network > Airport > Advanced > DNS (the tab at the top)

Then using the little + button at the bottom of the DNS Servers section I added the following:

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

After that it worked fine.

I have just had a look in my DNS settings (under airport) and these are the only 2 DNS servers, so either this field was blank or I deleted what ever was there before. (I cant remember!)

Give it a try and see if it fixes your problem anyway!

All the best!

Jun 10, 2011 1:19 PM in response to Joey Tsung

Hello . If you still cannot log in , please go to the link http://tutorial.downloadatoz.com/how-to-fix-facetime-for-mac-not-sign-in-issue.h tml . It helped me. After adding the two DNS I logged in FT . Strangely , it seems to work after that step , even if you decide to erase the two DNS you added and keep your initial . https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3009867 This is another user that had the same experience .

bye

Jun 16, 2011 9:01 PM in response to hydrofal78

I've got the same exact problem on a Mac Mini and an iMac, neither of which have any special port-blocking stuff installed (e.g. PeerGuardian) and the Firewall is off as well. Other similar applications work fine; e.g. Skype, ooVoo and I've never had any other internet connection issues with any other applications.

The error message from FaceTime is "Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again."

The DNS solution did not work for me. I don't have any means to connect through an alternative ISP or I'd try that next.

Apple support says to check that the required ports are open. I have no ports blocked on my personal router and have sent a message out to my ISP to check if they are blocking any ports - waiting to hear back on that.

Sure seems like there are plenty of Apple customers seeing this problem. I know it's just a 99-cent app, but it is from "Apple" from which I have higher expectations than the freeware/adware options.

sigh... hopefully my ISP has some good news for me.

Jun 27, 2011 1:40 PM in response to xb90

My ISP confirms no ports are blocked.

Just for grins I tried adding the two DNS server entries again which others have reported as a solution (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4).

Same problem exists, facetime is still not working.

I'm giving up now, thinking that FaceTime is not dramatically better than Skype or ooVoo and wishing I could reclaim my time spent fruitlessly troubleshooting this issue.

Could not sign in to facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.