Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System profiler crashes only when trying to list applications

On both my 10.6.7 installations (iMac 24" Core Duo and MBPro 2006) System Profiler works fine until I ask it to list Applications.

Have repaired permissions, verified and repaired disk, no joy.

I have the crash report if anyone can decipher it.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iMac 24" 2.8 ghz 4 GB RAM

Posted on May 7, 2011 2:21 AM

12 replies

Jul 7, 2011 8:49 PM in response to Jim Downward

Works for me also.

It was rather a surprise that it _stopped_ working. Did the most recent update to 10.6.8 break it and fail to tell me it was breaking it? I had thought (no research done) that 10.6 and the the included Apple software was set to work with itself as installed.

The latest version of System Profiler needs to run as 32 bit. Hmmm.

Jul 8, 2011 5:10 AM in response to Linc Davis

The only observed failure occurred when finding and listing applications on my iMac. I seem to have 500 to 1000 (maybe more) applications after consolidating the accounts and private applications from several computers onto my primary computer. The only difference between completing the listing of all applications or crashing midway was whether the open in 32 bit mode box was checked. No claim is made as to how System Profiler should. The only claim is that this single change allowed System Profiler to complete it's file listing without crashing.

Jul 18, 2011 10:12 AM in response to Jim Downward

Cannot believe this worked. I have been struggling with System Profiler crashing when listing applications for over a year and have turned to the boards several times with no answer. I agree it might have something to do with the number of applications. I would say I have between 500 and 1000 also and System Profiler would consistently crash. Thanks SO much! FYI: I am on a 6core Mac Pro

Oct 29, 2014 5:06 AM in response to Dan Hinckley

Today for the first time I encountered this exact System Profiler > Applications problem (running 10.6.8). This old thread here is all I could find on-line. Going to 32-bit didn't help at first, but after several retries it's ok intermittently, but only in 32-bit mode. Can't really find a pattern, but the following approach appears repeatable: Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info... > click Applications (get "System Profiler quit unexpectedly") > click "Reopen" > click Applications again and get success. Strange. Starting the System Profiler directly by double-clicking it in the Utilities Folder is sometimes successful on the first try, but also sometimes requires a "Reopen". I'm hesitant to update my OS on this old 20-inch iMac Core 2 duo. Runs fine for my current use.

System profiler crashes only when trying to list applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.