Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting Video without lossing quality. A Nightmare!

Hi all,

a recently bought a Sony Handycam HDR-CX160e, which records videos in HD, in AVCHD format (.MTS files). I cannot import / export a file using imovie without lossing quality. What I do is:

a) Record the video in HD Standard Quality. It saves the video in .MTS format, 1440x1080 (25i).

b) Import the video into iMovie

c) Without editing anything, i click Share->Quicktime, using this configuration:

- Format: H.264

- Data rate: 16500 kbps

- Image resolution: 1920 x 1080 HD

- Framerate: current

- Key frame: auto

When I play the video in the mac the quality is more or less the same, but when i play it in the TV the movements arent as smooth as the original; also the original video is a little bit sharper (clear).

How do I have to export the video in order not to lose quality? Is posible in iMovie? Should I use another configuration (framerate, data rate or something) when exporting the video?

Thanks very much in advance,

--ugo

MacBook Pro i7 2010, -

Posted on May 7, 2011 4:51 AM

2 replies

Jan 4, 2013 8:30 AM in response to CoronelTrautman

For one thing, when you record at 1440x1080, iMovie will automatically import it at 960x540. So you can export at Large (960x540) and that is about as good as you get. If you export at 1920x1080, it will double the 960x540 to create it.

If your camera has a 1920x1080 mode, use that. If it has multiple 1920x1080 modes, use the one with the highest bit rate.

If your camera offers a progressive mode, use that. 1080P will look better than 1080i in iMovie.

Exporting Video without lossing quality. A Nightmare!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.