Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scan from PC- why is this box opening

This has spontaneously appeared and I'm not sure why. I didn't do anything or change settings. It is something to do with my Canon printer I presume

Posted on May 7, 2011 5:37 AM

15 replies

May 7, 2011 11:08 AM in response to originale

If that opens while using a Web Browser, you are being offered Malware that would like to scare you into downloading and installing a Trojan Horse program that will take over your Mac.

Be sure your Browser settings do not include [√] Open "safe" downloads automatically.

NO downloads are safe. You should consider carefully and give your permission for each and every one.

May 7, 2011 11:39 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

No it just appears on the screen- before I can do anything. But thanks about the settings hint. I will check. I likelly downloaded something that I shouldn't . Not sure how to figure out what. I am not as familiar with gettign rid of something on Mac as I am on PC- where years of junk has made me an expert computer tinkerer. But Mac environment i snew to me.

May 8, 2011 9:21 AM in response to originale

If you use Firefox I assume you know where and how to find and install extensions.

A liitle searching will turn up what you need. Whether Google, Bing, or Mac oriented news, tips, file downloads.

AccelerateYourMac

MacFixit

MacInTouch

MacUpdate

MacInTouch - security discussion

The most common and popular AV mentioned -

ClamXav

Intego Software

And commercial products:

Mac BitDefender

Norton for Mac

Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition

MACDEFENDER Malware

So they do exist but haven't played much of a role.

ZDNet Security

Snow Leopard malware attacks

New MAC OS X scareware delivered through blackhat SEO

MacDefender Trojan

Scan from PC- why is this box opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.