Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An "app" call MacProtector appeared. It does not appear in the Finder if I attempt to Force Quit and I can't trash it. How do I get ride of it?

How can I get rid of an app that does not appear in the Finder. It is called MacProtector and I foolishly accepted installation. I cannot Trash it because it is open and I cannot quit it because it doesn't appear in the Force Quit window.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 7, 2011 7:39 AM

9 replies

May 7, 2011 8:21 AM in response to susan9941

First, restart in Safe Boot by holding the Shift key down at the chime. This will keep it from running, so you can remove it.

1. Drag the MacSecurity program -- or whatever it's called, MAC Defender, MacProtector (installed in the Applications folder by default) to the Trash. Empty the Trash.

2. Remove item of same name from the Login Items for your Account in the OS X System Preferences (if it exists).

3. Go to your Home folder Library>Preferences and Application Support (may not be one there) and search for any files with one of the above names and trash them. Empty the trash.

May 9, 2011 6:24 PM in response to Michelle3973

Killing it in Activity Monitor is only temporary. The next time you restart or logout and back in, it will be back.

First, restart in Safe Boot by holding the Shift key down at the chime. Or, alternatively, open Activity Monitor in Utilities, set to Active Processes, find the program and force quit it. This will keep it from running, so you can remove it.

1. Drag the MacSecurity program -- or whatever it's called, MAC Defender, MacProtector (installed in the Applications folder by default) to the Trash. Empty the Trash.

2. Remove item of same name from the Login Items for your Account in the OS X System Preferences (if it exists).

3. Go to your Home folder Library>Preferences and Application Support (may not be any there) and search for any files with one of the above names and trash them. Empty the trash.

4. If you use Safari, go to Preferences>General and UNCHECK "Open "safe" files after downloading. Keep that unchecked.

If you paid for it, they have your credit card #. Call your credit card and dispute the charges. Also, cancel the card ASAP.

As a precaution, change your password.

May 14, 2011 7:48 AM in response to susan9941

I faced the same problem as my iMac also got infected by MacPRotector. thanks to all the answeres here, got some strength.

I also Tried to trash, force quit nothing worked.

Finally I went to the folder where it was stored and one by one removed all the files, till it became useless.

It did not allow me completely remove for some of the program from trash, but on my next reboot, I could do that.

Gave me extreme scare as at some point some strange pages started falshing from Firefox. Now it looks fine.

In case you know any good Mac approved tool to help me scan my system to see if there was any damamge, will be helpful.

Thanks a lot for all the hints.

Cheers!

May 14, 2011 8:22 AM in response to rkaufmann87

From the cnet article:

And if you have installed one, such as VirusBarrier X6, Norton, Kaspersky, or Sophos, you should recognize it as the package you have installed.

NORTON: Stay away from it like the plague; it will wreck a Mac. Topher is way off on this one.

As for MacDefender Killer, I'm not sure it has been properly vetted, or if it will catch all files if any new versions of this Trojan appear. I wouldn't trust it on my computer. I'd scan with ClamXav, or do the manual removal:

First, restart in Safe Boot by holding the Shift key down at the chime. Or, alternatively, open Activity Monitor in Utilities, set to Active Processes, find the program and force quit it. This will keep it from running, but only temporarily, so you can remove it.

1. Drag the MacSecurity program -- or whatever it's called; it keeps using different names -- MAC Defender, MacProtector, MacKeeper 911, Apple Security Center, Apple Web Security -- it's not hard to imagine the new names it will be using in the coming days -- (installed in the Applications folder by default) to the Trash. Empty the Trash.

3. Go to your Home folder Library>Preferences and, if you find it, delete com.alppe.spav.plist. Look also in Application Support (may not be anything there, but check just in case) and search for any files with one of the above names and trash them. Empty the trash.

4. If you use Safari, go to Preferences>General and UNCHECK "Open "safe" files after downloading. Keep that unchecked.

If you paid for it, they have your credit card #. Call your credit card and dispute the charges. Also, cancel the card ASAP.

As a precaution, change your password.

An "app" call MacProtector appeared. It does not appear in the Finder if I attempt to Force Quit and I can't trash it. How do I get ride of it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.