Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to simplify entry URL?

I need some help with my iWeb site, being hosted on MobileMe. I have registered a domain name that I believe is functioning properly in accurately pointing to the site I have created with iWeb. The problem is, the URL changes once the first page loads into something that is dramatically too long. I am not sure why this is. I'd like to have it shortened.

The URL in question is www.slice-of-shanghai.com.

Once the page loads, I see www.slice-of-shanghai.com/JR/Living_and_Learning_in_Shanghai.html

Is there a way to make it so only short version appears?

TIA!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 4 gigs of RAM, 15: Matte screen

Posted on May 7, 2011 3:58 PM

7 replies

May 7, 2011 6:06 PM in response to fotoger

These are drawbacks to using domain name forwarding with masking:

1. Visitors can only enter your web site via the first page.
  2. Visitors can only bookmark the first page of your site.
  3. If a visitor refreshes a page they will be taken back to the first page of the site.k
  4. Search engines will only be able to use the first page of your site for indexing and rating your site.

Since you have a simple domain name to get visitors to your site initially it doesn't matter what's in the URL window once they get there. If they want to get back to a particular page they will bookmark it regardless of it's length.

OT

May 7, 2011 7:31 PM in response to fotoger

Visitors should be looking at your web page - not the URL! Its not like they have to remember all that stuff. They just need to enter - domain.com - into the browser.

The more relevant info in the URL - the better the search engines will index it.

If you change the site name in iWeb to something more descriptive than JR you can get even more keywords into each URL.

May 8, 2011 1:11 AM in response to tomfromchicago

The problem is, the URL changes once the first page loads into something that is dramatically too long. I am not sure why this is. I'd like to have it shortened.

www.slice-of-shanghai.com/JR/Living_and_Learning_in_Shanghai.html

Is there a way to make it so only short version appears?

Yes, there is a way.

Type fewer characters!

How to simplify entry URL?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.