Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need some help, big time.

Aloha:

I went through the whole Airport Express procedure (about 20 times) and finally came up with a green light on my Airport Express. So I took it to a spot in my house where the signal from my Airport Extreme gave me two bars on my iPad.

I plugged in the airport express looking for the big increase in my iPad signal, but it remained on two bars. No increase in signal strength what-so-ever!

What might I have done to bring this about?

I am about ready to chuck the AirPort Express into the deep blue Sea.

Thanks

Dan Page

Posted on May 7, 2011 7:20 PM

3 replies

May 7, 2011 10:23 PM in response to DanPage

Let's first find out if the Express is really "extending" the signal.

Open AirPort Utility and click on the Airport Express. in the window to the right, jot down the AirPort ID of the AirPort Express.

Hopefully, you have a Mac laptop because I don't know if this will work on an iPad. Hold down the option key on the Mac and click on the fan shaped AirPort icon at the top of the screen. Look for the BSSID. That number should match the AirPort ID of the AirPort Express if the device is really configured to "extend". Is that the case?

Remember that the Express can only "extend" the quality of signal that it receives.

It does not and cannot "boost" the signal....it can only make the signal that it receives go further.

If the Express receivess "two bars" (probably a very poor qualtiy signal) that is what it will extend.

May 8, 2011 12:34 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the reply, Bob, most appreciated.

Hopefully, you have a Mac laptop because I don't know if this will work on an iPad. Hold down the option key on the Mac and click on the fan shaped AirPort icon at the top of the screen. Look for the BSSID. That number should match the AirPort ID of the AirPort Express if the device is really configured to "extend". Is that the case?

It does not seem to be the case

Express ID: E4:CE:8F:6B:15:87

FAN ID is that of my main Airport router.

Where do we go from here? My express, has a green light??

Dan Page

May 8, 2011 6:32 AM in response to DanPage

Thanks for checking. Let's do some checking on your setup.

Open AirPort Utility, select your AirPort Extreme first, and click Manual Setup at the bottom. Click on Wireless just below the row of icons, and make sure there is a check mark entered next to "Allow this network to be extended". Jot down the exact setting that you see for Wireless Security here as well. Update to save any changes and allow 25-30 seconds for the AirPort Extreme to restart.

Temporarily, move the AirPort Express to the same room as the AirPort Extreme and allow 40-45 seconds for it to power up. Open AirPort Utility, select the Express and click Manual Setup. Click on Wireless below the row of icons. Your settings should look like this:

Wireless Mode = Extend a wireless network

Wireless Network Name = Name of your AirPort Extreme wireless network

Enter check mark next to Allow wireless clients

Wireless Security = Exact same setting as your AirPort Extreme

Wireless Password = Same password as the AirPort Extreme network

Confirm Password

Click Update and allow 40-45 second for the Express to restart. Unplug the Express and locate it for now at a point that is about 1/2 the distance from the AirPort Extreme to the area that needs more wireless coverage. Power it up and wait for the green light.

Then check to make sure that the Express is extending by using the same test earlier in this thread. Check your signal, etc. and please report on your findings.

Need some help, big time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.