Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAWs from Olympus E-30 shifted to left and top

Hi folks,

importing RAW from an Olympus E-30 shows some strange results: The photos are shifted to the left and upper by appr. 15 pixels. This content is lost, thereby offering some new ⚠ content on the right and lower side. It looks like if the coordinates of origin are scrambled...?

For to check I used the camera setting "create /both/ JPG /and/ RAW" simultaneously, and compared the .jpg and .orf side by side.

This occurs on two different Macs, within iPhoto, Preview etc..

For comparison I tried an Olympus E-620 as well, all fine: .jpg. and .orf show exactly the same crop. Using the albeit not-so-usable Olympus Software works fine with the E-30 shots, may be as it converts the RAWs on its own.

So far the RAW from the E-30 is not usable at all on the Macs with the Mac's software, as composition of a photo usually starts in that edge which gets cut, left and top...

Any ideas what I can do? If you need example shots let me now!

Macs on Snow Leopard with all patches 10.6.7, iPhoto 9.1.2. The Olympus E-30 has the most current firmware 1.1.

--

Kind regards,

Kai

Posted on May 8, 2011 5:04 AM

9 replies

May 8, 2011 7:09 AM in response to Kai Schwarzer

Okay I've searched some more on the Aperture and iPhoto forums and cannot see similar queries. There are some that complain about the colour and others about the amount of sharpening, but nothing I can find like this - and you have to figure that if every E-30 owner suffered from the issue that s/he would be complaining.

That, to me, suggests that the issue may be local to your machine.

Does it occur in other User accounts?

Have you tried importing the Raws to another Mac for comparison.?

Regards

TD

May 8, 2011 7:56 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence,

I really appreciate your effort, thank you!

As I tried to describe in my original post this happens on different accounts, and on two completely Independent Macs. Even more, on these both Macs the files from an E-620 become converted perfectly.

As you might take into consideration too, these models (620, 30) are from the same period of engineering at Olympus...

Kai

May 28, 2011 7:27 AM in response to Kai Schwarzer

In the meantime I have sent this issue to the OS-X and Aperture feedback, and sent an E-Mail to Mr Jobs. Additional insights while waiting for response are:

Another colleague, HaGeBe, has confirmed this issue (Link to a German forum for Olympus users).

And one more result: Adobe converts the position correctly, by DNGConverter 6.4.

Conclusion: This is probably an Apple's issue.

RAWs from Olympus E-30 shifted to left and top

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.