Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch screen not working

My ipad 2 is locked. Touch Screen not responding. I have already re-set it twice. It is seems to be a software issue. Any ideas on how to fix it?

iPad 2

Posted on May 8, 2011 10:17 AM

14 replies

May 8, 2011 10:19 AM in response to debora s

This may have been what you've already done but, just in case it isn't, it's certainly worth a shot:

Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears.

A System Reset does not remove any apps, music, movies, etc. nor does it cause any settings to revert back to default.

Also, you might wish to download the iPad-2 User Guide. Pay special attention to page 162. Note that this Guide also applies to the iPad-1 with IOS 4.3 except for those functions that are not supported by the hardware.

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad

Finally, the User Guide can be downloaded at no charge via iBooks and a less comprehensive version of the Guide is included as a Safari bookmark.

May 8, 2011 10:27 AM in response to Philly_Phan

I have not only done what you have suggested - "Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears." - but also have restored factory settings twice (all settings) ... I cannot do what's in page 162 as the screen does not respond. I am stuck at the ipad's home screen ("slide to unlock").

Dec 6, 2011 7:54 AM in response to debora s

The method given above fortunately worked for me.

I thought the iPad was indestructible, or impervious to buggs and suchlike. But my hands were all shaky when I saw my ipad freeze before my eyes and had the screen completely unresponsive. I suppose it was caused by a bad app, as it occurred while I was fiddling through a rather unwieldy interface. Then everything went blank, and I sighed when I saw my lockscreen wallpaper again. Alas! I can click sleep/wake button but the unlock tab was totally frozen. I tried turning off yet still the slider would NOT BUDGE. I was really quivering. Until I chanced upon this helpful discussion and was able to resolve the problem in less than 10 minutes.

I held the sleep.wake button and homescreen button simultaneously until the screen went dead, hooked it up to my laptop, waited for the Apple Logo, and - the best thing since sliced bread - saw my ipad working again.

Uggghh. Again, big thanks to the tip above.

Jul 16, 2013 3:11 AM in response to Philly_Phan

I was fiddling with my iPad last night and suddenly the touch screen couldn't respond. This morning I called an Apple iStore and they were telling me about taking it in for checking and charges .... But hey, I just followed your magic and boom it's up and running. Thanks man

Philly_Phan wrote:

This may have been what you've already done but, just in case it isn't, it's certainly worth a shot:

Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears.

A System Reset does not remove any apps, music, movies, etc. nor does it cause any settings to revert back to default.

Also, you might wish to download the iPad-2 User Guide. Pay special attention to page 162. Note that this Guide also applies to the iPad-1 with IOS 4.3 except for those functions that are not supported by the hardware.

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad

Finally, the User Guide can be downloaded at no charge via iBooks and a less comprehensive version of the Guide is included as a Safari bookmark.

Touch screen not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.