Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should Apple transfer my dead G5 to my new MacBook Pro?

My G5 died but when I took it into the genius bar, they told me that the hard drive was okay and the tech said that if I got a new Mac he would transfer the old HD to the new computer. However when I went in and purchased the new MacBook Pro, the sales guy said that I would have to have an operating computer for them to do the transfer.

To my mind this is the opposite of the service I usually get from Apple. Does anyone know what Apple policy is about this? Should I ask to see the manager? Suggestions?

Posted on May 8, 2011 5:08 PM

2 replies

May 8, 2011 6:29 PM in response to mack7

I think the sales guy and the tech might be talking about two different transfers. The tech might be talking about taking the HD from the old G5 to the new one while the sales person is talking about transfering files from the old HD (hence the working mac) to the new Mac. I would talk to the tech and let him know you have purchase the new mac and see if the swap is possible. Either way you will still want to ask the manager about Apple's policy, and ask if the swap would void any warranty as well. Good luck.

Should Apple transfer my dead G5 to my new MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.