Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java not working

For the past two weeks certain websites have stopped working properly.

For a simple example, Amazon.com > Today's Deal's yields the message, "Sorry, this browser is not supported by our Lightning Deals widget."

Another website for local movie theaters, give the message when trying to buy tickets,

"Browser Not Supported

This site requires JavaScript and Cookies to be enabled. Please try to access the site with a supported browser."

Now, this was not the case two weeks ago. It occurs in ALL browsers including Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Opera.

I have tested it with "Guest" accounts and the behavior is the same.

I have reinstalled Snow Leopard (and updated), reinstalled Java (latest version), repaired permissions, etc etc.

I've tried switching from 32/64 bit.

Still no luck. I can't get support from Apple as the Apple Care ran out about 2 weeks ago.

Any ideas??

iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz 24, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 8, 2011 10:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2011 10:51 PM

This site requires JavaScript and Cookies to be enabled. Please try to access the site with a supported browser."

Check your Safari preferences just in case.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari / Preferences then select the Security tab.

Make sure JavaScript is slected.

And for cookies, select: Only from sites I visit.

Quit then relaunch Safari.

Now, this was not the case two weeks ago.

If you have any anti virus software installed, that could be a factor especially since the problem is system wide (multiple users).

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2011 10:51 PM in response to Paul Margulies

Check your Safari preferences just in case.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari / Preferences then select the Security tab.

Make sure JavaScript is slected.

And for cookies, select: Only from sites I visit.

Quit then relaunch Safari.

Now, this was not the case two weeks ago.

If you have any anti virus software installed, that could be a factor especially since the problem is system wide (multiple users).

May 8, 2011 10:59 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn,

An interesting thing just happened...

I clicked the link in the notification email that I received about your reply in this thread. I typed a response but it wouldn't post.

It turned out that by clicking the link I was signed in on YOUR NAME! I have no idea how that happened, but it seems to be par for the course after this utterly ridiculous redesign of the community website.

In any event, I'm posting this after signing out of your account and signing back in on mine...

On the original topic, I had already had the settings that you suggested. I should have mentioned it first. Sorry. But please note... the problem occurs on all browsers on this Mac in all accounts.

Thanks for the try...

Paul

May 9, 2011 12:08 AM in response to Paul Margulies

You certainly did.

In your admin account, launch Disk Utility. Select the startup disk in the panel on the left then select the FirstAid tab.

Click: Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions) If the startup disk needs repairing, follow these instructions. You will need your install disc.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1782?viewlocale=en_US

Java not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.