Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

read receipt in snow leopard mail...

I am relatively new to mac and mail. can anyone please help me with delivery receipts and read receipts like one can get from those awful windows applications?

Mac Book, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on May 9, 2011 1:02 AM

3 replies

May 9, 2011 3:52 AM in response to da ferret

Read receipts are quite useless bits of internet cruft. Most (all?) e-mail clients that support read receipts - and many don't - default to it being off. Read receipts have been frequently abused by spammers to verify addresses, and there are privacy issues that bother a lot of people as well. So, you should really ask yourself why you want this capability. What does it tell you if you don't get a read receipt? Absolutely nothing.

However, if you want Mail to attach a read receipt request to every message it sends, see:

http://email.about.com/od/macosxmailtips/qt/et_request_recp.htm

There is no way to make Mail respond to a read receipt request.

Jul 22, 2011 6:51 AM in response to thomas_r.

I think, sometimes Apple should be a little less educative. Their bossy attitude "If we don't put it in, then you don't need it...“ has proven them wrong a few times. Remember "copy/paste" on the first iOS ?

Rather then adding a lot of fancy stuff like "dialogues" in Mail, it can't be that complicated to add a little box somewhere next to signature to request a read-receipt. I just upgraded to Lion and I'm amazed that this feature (because it is a feature, never mind if receivers are confirming or not) is again missing.

Its often good to know that your mail has reached destination, especially if you attach important documents to it - in which case the receiver will accept to confirm.

Just for this feature, I'm once again obliged to keep Thunderbird next to Mail.

read receipt in snow leopard mail...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.