3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2011 6:51 AM by Womble_1202
da ferret Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am relatively new to mac and mail.  can anyone please help me with delivery receipts and read receipts like one can get from those awful windows applications?

Mac Book, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • Barry Hemphill Level 8 Level 8 (36,740 points)

Hello:

There is no read/delivery receipt facility in the Apple Mail application.  Incidentally, those only work in a Windows environment (as I recall) for computers on the same network.

Barry

• thomas_r. Level 7 Level 7 (29,980 points)

Read receipts are quite useless bits of internet cruft.  Most (all?) e-mail clients that support read receipts - and many don't - default to it being off.  Read receipts have been frequently abused by spammers to verify addresses, and there are privacy issues that bother a lot of people as well.  So, you should really ask yourself why you want this capability.  What does it tell you if you don't get a read receipt?  Absolutely nothing.

However, if you want Mail to attach a read receipt request to every message it sends, see:

http://email.about.com/od/macosxmailtips/qt/et_request_recp.htm

There is no way to make Mail respond to a read receipt request.

• Womble_1202 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I think, sometimes Apple should be a little less educative. Their bossy attitude "If we don't put it in, then you don't need it...“ has proven them wrong a few times. Remember "copy/paste" on the first iOS ?

Rather then adding a lot of fancy stuff like "dialogues" in Mail, it can't be that complicated to add a little box somewhere next to signature to request a read-receipt. I just upgraded to Lion and I'm amazed that this feature (because it is a feature, never mind if receivers are confirming or not) is again missing.

Its often good to know that your mail has reached destination, especially if you attach important documents to it - in which case the receiver will accept to confirm.

Just for this feature, I'm once again obliged to keep Thunderbird next to Mail.