Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time lapse photography on the cheap.

Needed to do some quick and dirty time lapse shots over the weekend. Automator has a Take Picture action but not all cameras are supported (for some strange reason) and even though I can tether shoot in Aperture my Canon 40D isn't supported by Automator.

So I cobbled together this AppleScript. It has the added bonus that the images are already in Aperture, no need to import.

enjoy!

There is a down loadable version of the script at my website Crystal Objects

(*
          ©2011 Frank Caggiano

Time Lapsed Tethered Shooting in Aperture

Create and select Aperture destination project for the tethered shots before runnig this script.

*)
set delayTime to 10 -- Number seconds between shots
set totalShots to 5 -- Number of shots to take

tell application "Aperture" to activate
tell application "System Events"
          tell process "Aperture"
                    click menu item "Start Session…" of menu 1 of menu item "Tether" of menu 1 of menu bar item "File" of menu bar 1

click button "Start Session" of window "Tether Settings"
                        delay 1
                    click button "Capture" of window "Tether"

repeat (totalShots - 1) times
                                delay delayTime
                              click button "Capture" of window "Tether"
                    end repeat
                         delay 1
                    click button "Stop Session" of window "Tether"
          end tell
end tell

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano Modify delayTime and totalShots for your needs (in case thats not obvious)

iMac Intel 3.06 GHz 8GB Mem; Macbook5.1 2.4ghz 4GB Mem, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Aperture 3.1.2

Posted on May 9, 2011 10:22 AM

4 replies

Dec 30, 2013 4:58 AM in response to paulrustad

Yes a great image, glad you found the script useful and I saved your fingers. I have found at -18 something a bit stronger then coffee is needed. 😉

I had forgotten all about that one, as it uses GUI scripting (actually having the script pretend to press the buttons in the application) I'm surprised it still works. Any minor change to the applications UI will throw the script off so as a rule these types of scripts need constant tweaking between app versions.

Léonie, your right I should put this in the user tips, good idea.

regards

Time lapse photography on the cheap.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.