Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatically spell check these "submit my question to the cmmunity"

Automatically spell check these the questions to the community like Google does. Google provides alternative searches when you misspell a word in the search. Would seem reasonable for Apple too.

This cam to my attention when I accidentally misspelled community in my prior post about Mac OS X Technologies.

Robert

Posted on May 9, 2011 12:21 PM

7 replies

May 10, 2011 8:33 AM in response to Tuttle

Tuttle wrote:

This cam to my attention when I accidentally misspelled ...

Kudos! 😉

Not sure of your comment here, because cam is spelled write.

Dictionary.app

cam |kam|

noun

a projection on a rotating part in machinery, designed to make sliding contact with another part while rotating and to impart reciprocal or variable motion to it.

• short for camshaft .

• short for camera 1 .

Robert

May 10, 2011 8:56 AM in response to rccharles

rccharles wrote:

You can click on HTML icon. You will get the 'normal' spell checker. You will have to ignore the html stuff of course.

If by the 'normal' spell checker you mean the one built into OS X, you can use it in the regular (non-html) editor modes. First, make sure it is turned on in the browser app's Edit menu > Spelling and Grammar > "Check Spelling While Typing" menu item. That will underline potential misspellings in red, just like for other apps that support system-wide text services.

The trick is you can't access the OS X popup contextual menu with a right click on the underlined word because that brings up the ASC insert/align menu. But you can do it with a control click. This is because of a quirk of the software running the site, which is neither developed by Apple nor platform specific.

May 10, 2011 6:52 PM in response to R C-R

If by the 'normal' spell checker you mean the one built into OS X, you can use it in the regular (non-html) editor modes. First, make sure it is turned on in the browser app's Edit menu > Spelling and Grammar > "Check Spelling While Typing" menu item. That will underline potential misspellings in red, just like for other apps that support system-wide text services.

It's not working for me. I have the spell checker turned on in TenFourFox 4.0.1. This is a ported version of Firefox 4.x. Interesting enough I got spell checking turned on by control click > check spelling. I see that check spelling is now checked in the control click box.Now, I have html & TenFourFox underlined in red dots.

Do you get the underlining to work in other browser without this maneuver?

The trick is you can't access the OS X popup contextual menu with a right click on the underlined word because that brings up the ASC insert/align menu. But you can do it with a control click. This is because of a quirk of the software running the site, which is neither developed by Apple nor platform specific.

There is a way of injecting javascript into a page. I bet you could zap away the forum right click via the injected javascript.

Robert

Automatically spell check these "submit my question to the cmmunity"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.