Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best way to migrate one mac to another

Hello All:

Tomorrow my new iMac arrives. I want to migrate all of my current settings, applications and data from my MacBook Pro (2007) over. I am currenty running OSX 10.6.7. I run Time Machine onto a USB drive. I have heard that you can either use Migration Assistant via direct Firewire or Time Machine. Which is the best or does it even matter?

Thanks.

Posted on May 9, 2011 1:45 PM

9 replies

Jun 18, 2011 10:00 PM in response to captfred

Absolute disaster trying to use this Migration assistant! First of all it caught me in a loop because the OS on the new computer was not the same version as the old computer. Only after backing out of Migration Assitant a couple times did I finally get the message that I had to bring my new iMac up to date with the OS. Fine I did that thinking that perhaps that was the reason it wasn't sinking with the Firewire. No go. Still doesn't recognize the Firewire. So haw about two up-to-date computers and USB. It seemed to update users but I sure can't see any difference. And there is no longer a Mac HD icon on the desktop. How about moving 500 GB via WiFi. Sure except around the 3/4 mark I'm told there is a problem with my WiFi. Well, everything else is working. So now I'll try a Drobo restore routine. Migration Assistant is garbage. After 25 years working w/Macs this is equaling at least the biggest wste of my time of all of the OS's of the past.

Message was edited by: Rogue_Butterfly

Jul 16, 2011 5:53 PM in response to Rogue_Butterfly

I feel you big time. I am going from one Macbook Pro (3 yrs old) to a new one. Giving my son who is off to college which after asking for $50K from me...says...hmmm... oh yeah... you need to set him up with a MacBook Pro as well.... OK... but kid, you get my old one. I get the new one.

Tried Migration Assistant...and crashed after two hours. Now trying it again. Thank god it's saturday and the British Open is on.... so not a total waste of time.

By the way, using Ethernet cables. So we'll see with round two.

What is the best way to migrate one mac to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.