Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor, works sometimes, but most times not.

I recently used Compressor to convert several mp4 files into mov files using the h264 settings. Now all of a sudden every attempt with similar files fails or won't even load into Compressor at all.

I have reset the background processes and I have used the reset app, adn I've repaired disk permissions.

Any knowledge on this? It has been suggested taht I re-install compressor but I took a look at the installation disks and I did not see a way to install it without re-installing the entire FCP Studio.

It does work with smaller files but the original files I converted were larger than the ones which are failing now.

Posted on May 9, 2011 1:26 PM

6 replies

May 10, 2011 9:15 AM in response to rhettfromnew york

I'm almost positive you can just reinstall compressor. There's some sort of customization option in the install app. But I doubt that's the problem.

Are these mp4 files from the same source as the previous ones that worked fine? Describe where you got them from? Do you want to send me one and I'll see if they work on my system? My email is in my profile.

May 10, 2011 9:43 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

> I recently used Compressor to convert several mp4 files into mov files using the h264 settings. Now all of a sudden every attempt with similar files fails or won't even load into Compressor at all.<

Thiis statement is weird as written, you converted MP4 files using the H.264 settings so all you did was convert them to MP$ files. That may not be what you meant, it's what you wrote. As MG points out, your post probably makes sense to you, it doesn't to us in its current form. Does Compressor work with other file types?

Reinstalling Compressor probably won't help but go ahead and try. You can search for and download a piece of script breakdown software called Pacifist, it's free from sites like versiontracker (or whatever it's been turned into). Pacifist allows you open installation scripts ad pick the pieces you want to run.

bogiesan

May 10, 2011 9:55 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

yes compressor works with other files....

let me tray and explain.

I am attempting to convert mp4 into mov... I am using the h264 codec basically to sync the audio and change the extension so that they will be accepted into Premiere and be in sync. It the first time i used it. the results were perfect. As is the mp4 come in with the audio playing at a much faster rate than the video.

In the past I have received mp4 files from the same producer and I could change the extension to mov, drop them onto the timeline and they would sync up. With this new batch changing the extension causes them to import as audio only files.

I considered trying other codecs like apple intermediate however, since the Compressor stopped acceptign the mp4 files it's a moot point at the moment.

May 10, 2011 10:03 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

The files are between 2 and 3 gigs each. The files I received form the same producer in the past were only around 1 gig usually. If you are still interested in seeing one I could perhpas upload it for you to donwload.

I am trying to get ahold of this producer however they are non-responsive to date.

I dont' really want to mess with the re-install. Especially if some people say it won't help.

Compressor, works sometimes, but most times not.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.