📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to reset ipod touch 1st gen to factory

How do i restore my ipod to factory setting when its disabled? I tried holding the lock and menu button after powering it down but it just keeps turning on and off and not saying connect to itunes.

iPod touch

Posted on May 9, 2011 7:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 10:21 AM

What do i do if it says it cant connect to the update server? It is on the screen with the itunes disk(on the ipod) and it told me to click restore and when i did it said, "Itunes cannot connect to the update server." What do i do???

5 replies

May 9, 2011 8:01 PM in response to ThatfatDude

To put your iPod into recovery mode:

1. Make sure the iPod is connected to a computer with iTunes installed on it.

2. Hold down the sleep/wake button(top button) and the home button at the same time until the iPod screen goes black then shows the apple logo( usually 10-15 seconds).

3. Once the apple logo appears on the screen, let go of the sleep/wake button and keep holding the home button.

4. A dialog box will appear in iTunes that states an iPod in recovery mode has been detected if you are successful and the display of the iPod will show the iTunes logo and a USB cord.

5. Click ok, then click the Restore button

After that you should be up and running in no time!

I hope that this is helpful.

Jul 20, 2011 2:20 AM in response to jagamac

I had the same problem 1 month ago, If I have'nt read this, my iPod would probably in a safe keeping box now cause I read a lot of advise regarding this, and they said my iPod is dead.. Until I read this, I had the same problem and it worked in my ipod. You just have to worked hard on it. Just follow the advise given.

I would like to thank you for posting this! A huge Help!

😉

how to reset ipod touch 1st gen to factory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.