Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I (think) I accidentally screwed up my EFI or MBR installing Ubuntu

Ok. I was installing Ubuntu on my MBP. I didn't pay attention to where it was installing grub. I tried deleting ubuntu and grub. I symlinked the EFI partition, and deleted grub from there. When I boot, I get a black screen, and the sh-sh noise my mac normally makes when it boots. If it was the first time booting since I last booted successfully, it makes 1 long beep. If I shut down, wait a few minutes, and try again, I get a black screen with no beep. If I shut down, wait, boot it back up, I can boot up fine. I think I messed my up my MBR or EFI. I also did sudo fdisk -u /dev/disk0. I don't have a windows disk, and reinstalling os x is not an option, because my mom would kill me for "messing with technology." Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 10, 2011 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2011 3:03 AM

Try starting your MBP with the original system disk that came with your MBP. If you are able to start it run Disk Utility and repair your Macintosh HD.

3 replies

I (think) I accidentally screwed up my EFI or MBR installing Ubuntu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.