Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I begin to attempt to download the windows support software in boot camp, it says the windows support software is unavailable. Is there any other place I can download it for a Macbook Pro 5,5 intel core 2 duo without the original CD?

When I begin to attempt to download the windows support software in boot camp, it says the windows support software is unavailable. Is there any other place I can download it for a Macbook Pro 5,5 intel core 2 duo with snow leopard without the original CD?

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 10, 2011 3:33 AM

6 replies

May 10, 2011 4:16 AM in response to margueritefrombryne

Hi,

apart from the MacBook Air this feature is of no use for other Macs right now.

Simply ingnore it (click "I already have the Drivers...) and continue with the installation.

Sorry to say but you need the OSX Install DVD for the BootCamp Driver installation.

The 3.0 version of the BootCamp Drivers is only avaiable on the disc.

Later updates (3.1 and 3.2) can be downloaded from Apples Support website.

Call Apple and ask for a replacement and they usually send you one for a small fee.

And have the Serial-Number of your Mac at hand when calling.

And since the OSX Install DVD can also be vital for maintenance and repair it is best to have one.

The needed BootCamp Drivers are on the OSX Install DVD 1 that came with your Mac.

Insert that disc while in Windows after the Windows installation to install the drivers.

Regards

Stefan

Aug 31, 2011 1:07 PM in response to Fortuny

"Insert that disc while in Windows after the Windows installation to install the drivers."

The problem here is that I'm never in Windows because Windows doesn't install properly without the boot camp drivers. Currently I'm running in 10.6.8, whereas the Intel Core 2 Duo I'm using came with Tiger. At any rate I have the tiger install disc one (not sure if I should be using the 10.6 install disc?), but never have a chance to put it into the drive because the drive is occupied by the Windows 7 install disc during windows installation, which ultimately fails during one of the last startups. I've tried swapping them out between startups but by now it ignores the Mac OS X install disc and keeps trying to reboot in Windows to tell me that it either didn't shut down properly or there was a critical error causing failure of windows installation, which I believe is caused by having no boot camp driver.

One thing I have also noticed is that when Boot Camp creates a partition for Windows, and I try to install Windows 7 into it, Windows 7 says it cannot install into that partition -- rather it allows me to "format" that partition and then it will move ahead with installation which -- after 30 minutes of waiting -- ultimately fails.

??

Sep 1, 2011 6:34 PM in response to Csound1

I used Boot Camp's default... I think it was 30 gb? I'd have to start over to be sure, it was either 20 or 30 gb. Is that not enough for Windows 7?

What appears to happen is that Windows 7 gets all the way to the end of its installation and then tries to boot itself. I then get a blue screen that says the installation failed, with lots of other information that doesn't really help me much. (Probably because I'm a lifetime Mac user, I just don't understand Windows.)

When Boot Camp sets up that partition, and afterward I try to install Windows 7 onto it, Windows 7 says it cannot install into that partition without formatting it. Is that meaningful?

Sep 1, 2011 7:10 PM in response to LegendMaker

You have to format the partition for Win7 using the windows installer, you do this while installing Win7. I would suggest reading the BootCamp documentation and ask, do you have a current backup, you changing the basic structure of the disk, things can go wrong.

Remove the existing partition using BootCamp Assistant, make a new one 50G, download the Windows Software and continue, when you get to the bit about where to install choose advanced options and format the drive, then continue. When Win7 is installed use the drivers you downloaded and saved (per the instruction screen) and install the drivers.

Sep 2, 2011 4:36 AM in response to Csound1

Yes I do that every time (formatting with Windows). I have no choice because I can't install unless I do. That's not the hang-up, I just thought maybe that was a clue toward something.

The hangup comes after Windows 7 is finished installing and reboots the computer a final time to launch its own setup wizard, and then I get the blue screen of shame.

I'll try increasing the partition though, and if that doesn't work I might try installing Windows XP or Windows Vista (ugh). I have both original install disks on hand.

When I begin to attempt to download the windows support software in boot camp, it says the windows support software is unavailable. Is there any other place I can download it for a Macbook Pro 5,5 intel core 2 duo without the original CD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.