Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalled Windows on PC -> cannot sync iphone -> message: another library

Hi,

recently had to reinstall my PC and consequently iTunes. Now I have an empty iTunes library. I have managed to get my music, pics en vids of my iPhone 4 and add them to the library but i can't sync my apps. I want to import them in iTunes but i can't figure out how because when I try to sync the apps i get a message that the iPhone is synced with another library and that a sync will erase all my apps and replace them with the apps in my empty iTunes library. That I don't want, offcourse, because I have some purchases that are quite expensive to rebuy.

Another problem is that my iPhone "hangs" in trying to download updates that are bigger than 20 mB. Every five seconds I get a messages that the updates are bigger than 20 MB and that i need to download them with iTunes which i can't do becuase of the above mentioned problem.

What can I do?

recently had to reinstall my PC and consequently iTunes. Now I have an empty iTunes library. I have managed to get my music, pics en vids of my iPhone 4 and add them to the library but i can't sync my apps. I want to import them in iTunes but i can't figure out how because when I try to sync the apps i get a message that the iPhone is synced with another library and that a sync will erase all my apps and replace them with the apps in my empty iTunes library. That I don't want, offcourse, because I have some purchases that are quite expensive to rebuy.

Another problem is that my iPhone "hangs" in trying to download updates that are bigger than 20 mB. Every five seconds I get a messages that the updates are bigger than 20 MB and that i need to download them with iTunes which i can't do becuase of the above mentioned problem.

What can I do?

What can I do?

What can I do?

What can I do?

What can I do?

Recently I upgraded my PC from XP to Windows 7. Therefore i needed to erase all on my C:\. Now I have an empty iTunes library. I want to sync my iphone to my PC as normal but I recieve a message that the iPhone is synced with another iTunes library and if I sync, all data will be deleted on my iphone and will replaced with data of my empty iTunes library.

How can I get my data from the Iphone to iTunes so I don't need to search again for all music, ringtones, movies, apps etc?

Please help me out because now I cannot make and have not any backup anymore!

iPhone 4, Windows 7

Posted on May 10, 2011 9:06 AM

3 replies

May 10, 2011 10:06 AM in response to bartfromzevenaar

You can restore the backup of your iTunes library that you undoubtedly made prior to wiping the contents of your PC. It will still erase the contents of the phone, but you'll be able to re-sync the content from the restored iTunes library.

Oh, wait... you don't have a backup. I'm sorry. If you set iTunes not to sync devices on connection, then plug your phone it, you can transfer any music / apps purchase ON THE PHONE, to the iTunes library. Everything else will have to be re-downloaded, or re-ripped from the original CDS in the case of music.

The iPhone is NOT a backup device. Music, video, apps, etc. are 'loaned' to the mobile device for portable playback, but are 'owned' by the computer.

May 10, 2011 10:07 AM in response to bartfromzevenaar

" I recieve a message that the iPhone is synced with another iTunes library and if I sync, all data will be deleted on my iphone and will replaced with data of my empty iTunes library."

That is correct. The iphone will sync with one library at a time. If you sync to another, then it will erase the current content.

You need to use your backup copy of your computer to put everything back.

Certainly you did not erase your c drive without making sure that you have an up to date copy.

Reinstalled Windows on PC -> cannot sync iphone -> message: another library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.