Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! iPhoto Crashes on my new iMac12,1 10.6.7

The error message reads:

Process: iPhoto [4791]

Path: /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto

Identifier: com.apple.iPhoto

Version: 9.1.2 (9.1.2)

Build Info: iPhotoProject-6050000~2

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [130]

Date/Time: 2011-05-09 15:33:51.181 -0700

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J4138)

Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 67540 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 5

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 5

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:

Symbol not found: _kXPCOAssetVendorShouldRemoveRedEyesKey

Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/iLifePageLayout.framework/Versions/A/iLifePageLayout

Expected in: /Library/Frameworks/iLifePageLayout.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ExpressChec kout.framework/Versions/A/ExpressCheckout

in /Library/Frameworks/iLifePageLayout.framework/Versions/A/iLifePageLayout

...etc.

I tried this solution ( https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2732095 ) but it didn't seem to work. The problem remains after the new installation.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz

Posted on May 10, 2011 9:22 AM

7 replies

May 10, 2011 12:02 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks, Terence. I haven't tried to reinstall the operating system (which, of course, was originally a factory install - I only bought the iMac last week!).

It's been awhile. Do I have to reformat my hard-drive (groan)...or can I do a simpler re-install off the DVD???

Please advise on how I go about doing this...

...and I shouldn't have to install iPhoto *again* after the OS reinstall, right?

Many thanks!

May 10, 2011 12:49 PM in response to Sky McDougall

I've never had to do it, but to the best of my knowledge you can simply insert the diks and install without erasing. Your apps and data should be untouched. But:

1. Ask someone who knows ! I'd start on this forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/mac_os_x_v10.6_snow_leopard?categ oryID=263&start=0

2. No matter what: back up first!

Regards

TD

May 11, 2011 12:40 AM in response to Sky McDougall

I had the same exact problem with my brand new iMac -- same "Symbol not found: _kXPCOAssetVendorShouldRemoveRedEyesKey". I had migrated from an older iMac that had iLife 11 installed from the iLIfe retail package, since it originally came with iLife '09). I suspect that's the cause.

This is what I did and avoided an entire OS re-install:

1. Do a back up.
  2. In Finder, drag iPhoto to the trash. Empty the trash. (Don't do it from the Stack view)
  3. Insert the "Applications Install Disk" that came with your Mac.
  4. "Install Bundled Applications"
  5. Select "Customize" and uncheck everything but iTunes (or just do them all, probably can't hurt
  6. CRITICAL: Now do a "Software Update..." from the Apple menu. You should pick up an iTunes update

After that, iTunes opened up with no problems.

HELP! iPhoto Crashes on my new iMac12,1 10.6.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.