Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to find PowerPC Data Recovery Software

So, I was working one day inside my Power Mac G5 Quad by putting in some additional memory. Suddenly, my arm accidently pushes over my external hard drive with lots of my back up software. The drive falls to the carpeted floor. Next, I hooked it up to my mac to see if there was a problem with it. I found no problem other than all my programs were gone. The drive does post to the desktop and no clicking or bad hard drive noises come on. I then go to hook this up to my windows laptop and Windows chkdsk refuses to run, saying that the drive is not formatted.

Can someone recommend for me a good data recovery software, other than Prosoft Data Rescue 3? I have had nothing but problems with that software as when it gets to stage 3 of 3, it hangs at 71.93 percent and stays there.

I really want my data back as I also have a backup of my Gateway's windows image on there. I looked up a software called Boomerang Data Recovery, but they want like 140 dollars for a basic licence, and not to mention I heard bad things about that company such as, scamming people, no customer service, etc.

I am looking for something affordable, but with which can do the job.

Thanks.

Mid-2010 Mac Pro W3580, 5770 Radeon, G5 Quad, G4 PB 1.67 DL/HD, G4 Pismo 550, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 8GB DDR3 1333 Memory, dual superdrive, OS 9.2.2, OS X Public Be

Posted on May 10, 2011 10:11 AM

7 replies

May 10, 2011 2:04 PM in response to BDAqua

Ive never run into any trouble with Data Rescue (granted Im still using 2.0), but it sounds like what BDAqua said. Its probably hit a bad spot on the drive and yes it will sit there reading and reading and reading until it can get around it.. Last time I had to recover some stuff due to a lovely power outage, it took a few hours to get everything off of my 500GB storage drive..

Id go with Diskwarrior for my 'second opinion'. DW is pretty good about it, and in the event it finds a problem, I like its reports alot better then Data Rescue. Data Rescue wont really wont tell you anything about the drive's problems other then it cant read data, but DW will let you know whats going on..

If you need a general diagnostic tool for the whole system, TechTool Pro also has some nice disc tests in it amongst all the other memory/cpu/etc tools..

May 10, 2011 4:34 PM in response to BDAqua

Ok, I guess I will let the program run its course.. just that I was waiting practically overnite for the data recovery program to finish as it was in stage 3 of 3 deep scan.. It completed stage 1 and 2 successfully, but stage 3 hung at 71.23 percent. I will try it again and leave it on for maybe a day or two..

Have any of you ever heard of Boomerang Data Recovery?

Need to find PowerPC Data Recovery Software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.