Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'your iphoto library is damaged or unreadable and cannot be opened. Please restore from a backup'.

Just opened up iPhoto 09', flashed up with the message 'your iphoto library is damaged or unreadable and cannot be opened. Please restore from a backup'. Now, I can still find all my photos in the Finder, how can I get my photos back into iPhoto? Why did it happen?

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 10, 2011 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2011 11:55 AM

Why - no one but you knows what you did or your computer did

What to do - as instructed - reload your current backup - that is what it is for - to protect you agains failures, Human, hardware and software.

LN

9 replies

May 10, 2011 12:59 PM in response to _LukeJohnston

_LukeJohnston wrote:

1) I don't have any backups

2) If I did, I think I'd have the brains to work out what to do.

All I did was open iPhoto, so could have possibly changed to make it 'fail'?

You should - if you do not have a good current backup you will lose your data including your photos sooner or later - you need to get an extrnal drive and start now

Sorry if you "have the brains" and are offended - but the answer is to always have a backup ( people with "brains" do)

You can try rebuilding your library and hope for the best - start your backups and be sure you have a good backup and them depress the option and command keys and launch iPhoto - try the repair the library first - if not then rebuild - if that does not do it download iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - and use its rebuild option

Maybe luck will be with you - maybe not

As to what made it fail - not being a mind reader or having the ability to remotely view your computer I have not idea - it was a failure - either hardware, software or human - those are, again, why you have to always have a backup - Stuff happens

With a backup luck is not necessary you are in control of your destiny

LN

'your iphoto library is damaged or unreadable and cannot be opened. Please restore from a backup'.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.