Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie' 11 quits unexpectedly - New Problem (Worked fine before). How ?

Hi guys,

Alright .. So iMovie'11 was working just fine for me (I bought it a week back). No problems whatsoever. Until today, that is.

When I imported a file, iMovie crashed just when the importing was about to finish. I tried this with files of different sizes and formats but the same problem kept popping up.

Next, I googled this and looked for solutions (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3143?viewlocale=en_US). Here's how it has worked so far:

1) Software Update

--> None. It's up to date

2) Go to /Library/Quicktime and disable some component files -

--> There is no Quicktime folder in my Library!

What I can't understand is that why has this happened a week after I purchased this software ? How could it work good and then start having problems ?(AFAIK, I have not tampered with any files or anything else).

Alright people, I need help on this.

Much appreciated.

MacBook Pro'15, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on May 10, 2011 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2011 12:40 AM

Hi

Not knowing the origin to Your problem - General approach when in trouble is as follows.

• Free space on internal (start-up) hard disk if it is less than 10Gb should rather have 25Gb

• Delete iMovie pref file

iMovie pref file resides.

Mac Hard Disk (start-up HD)/Users/"Your account"/Library/Preferences

and is named. (one or more of these)

com.apple.iMovie.plist

com.apple.iMovie3.plist

com.apple.iMovie7.plist

com.apple.iMovie8.plist

com.apple.iMovie9.plist

com.apple.iMovieApp.plist

com.apple.iLife.App.plist

and find

com.apple.iApps.plist

While iMovie is NOT RUNNING - move this/these file/s out on to desk-top.

Now restart iMovie.

• Hard disk is untidy. Repair Permissions, Repair Hard disk (Apple’s Disk Utilities application)

• Garageband-fix. Start it, Play a note and Close it. Re-try (Corrects an audio problem that hinders iMovie)

• Screen must be set to Million-colors

• Turn off Mac and disconnect Mains/Power for 20-30 minutes - will at least re-set FW-port

• Third party plug-ins that doesn't work OK (not relevant for iMovie’08 or 09 or 11)

• Problems in iPhoto Library can affect iMovie to crash on start-up. Re-build this first then try to re-start iMovie.

This You do by

_ close iPhoto

_ on start up of iPhoto - Keep {cmd and alt-keys down}

_ now select all five options presented

_ WAIT a long long time

• iMovie updated ?

• QuickTime updated ?

• Mac OS version ?

• Program miss-match. iMovie 4 - will not work under Leopard

• Program miss-match. iMovie 5.0.2, up to Mac OS X.4.11 AND QuickTime 7.4.1 - is OK

• Program miss-match. iMovie 6.0.3 or 6.0.4, Mac OS X.4.11 AND QuickTime 7.4.1 - is OK (will work under Leopard and Snow-Leopard)

• Program miss-match. iMovie’08 v. 7.1.4, Mac OS X.4.11 AND QuickTime 7.5.5 - is OK (will work under Leopard and Snow-Leopard)

• Program miss-match. iMovie’09 v. 8.0.6, Mac OS X.5.8 AND QuickTime 7.6.4 - is OK (will work under Leopard and Snow-Leopard)

From LKN 1935. (in this case = iMovie HD (5), I tried it all, but nothing worked.

Your answer (above) has been helpful insofar as all the different trials led to the conclusion that

there was something wrong with my iMovie software. I therefore threw everything away and reinstalled

iMovie from the HD. After that the exportation of DV videos (there has not been any problem with HDV videos)

to my Sony camcorders worked properly as it did before.

Lennart Thelander

I run "Cache Out X", clear out all caches and restarts the Mac.

Yours Bengt W

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2011 12:40 AM in response to lawsofphysics

Hi

Not knowing the origin to Your problem - General approach when in trouble is as follows.

• Free space on internal (start-up) hard disk if it is less than 10Gb should rather have 25Gb

• Delete iMovie pref file

iMovie pref file resides.

Mac Hard Disk (start-up HD)/Users/"Your account"/Library/Preferences

and is named. (one or more of these)

com.apple.iMovie.plist

com.apple.iMovie3.plist

com.apple.iMovie7.plist

com.apple.iMovie8.plist

com.apple.iMovie9.plist

com.apple.iMovieApp.plist

com.apple.iLife.App.plist

and find

com.apple.iApps.plist

While iMovie is NOT RUNNING - move this/these file/s out on to desk-top.

Now restart iMovie.

• Hard disk is untidy. Repair Permissions, Repair Hard disk (Apple’s Disk Utilities application)

• Garageband-fix. Start it, Play a note and Close it. Re-try (Corrects an audio problem that hinders iMovie)

• Screen must be set to Million-colors

• Turn off Mac and disconnect Mains/Power for 20-30 minutes - will at least re-set FW-port

• Third party plug-ins that doesn't work OK (not relevant for iMovie’08 or 09 or 11)

• Problems in iPhoto Library can affect iMovie to crash on start-up. Re-build this first then try to re-start iMovie.

This You do by

_ close iPhoto

_ on start up of iPhoto - Keep {cmd and alt-keys down}

_ now select all five options presented

_ WAIT a long long time

• iMovie updated ?

• QuickTime updated ?

• Mac OS version ?

• Program miss-match. iMovie 4 - will not work under Leopard

• Program miss-match. iMovie 5.0.2, up to Mac OS X.4.11 AND QuickTime 7.4.1 - is OK

• Program miss-match. iMovie 6.0.3 or 6.0.4, Mac OS X.4.11 AND QuickTime 7.4.1 - is OK (will work under Leopard and Snow-Leopard)

• Program miss-match. iMovie’08 v. 7.1.4, Mac OS X.4.11 AND QuickTime 7.5.5 - is OK (will work under Leopard and Snow-Leopard)

• Program miss-match. iMovie’09 v. 8.0.6, Mac OS X.5.8 AND QuickTime 7.6.4 - is OK (will work under Leopard and Snow-Leopard)

From LKN 1935. (in this case = iMovie HD (5), I tried it all, but nothing worked.

Your answer (above) has been helpful insofar as all the different trials led to the conclusion that

there was something wrong with my iMovie software. I therefore threw everything away and reinstalled

iMovie from the HD. After that the exportation of DV videos (there has not been any problem with HDV videos)

to my Sony camcorders worked properly as it did before.

Lennart Thelander

I run "Cache Out X", clear out all caches and restarts the Mac.

Yours Bengt W

iMovie' 11 quits unexpectedly - New Problem (Worked fine before). How ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.