Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restart samba on OSX 10.6.7?

How do you restart Samba on OSX 10.6.7? I've looked everywhere can't find any docs.

Reason for asking is that on occasion Samba just hangs and I have to forcibly restart the mac to fix it. (restart command just hangs the mac). It seems to have something to do with open connections to Win7 clients and sleep mode.

Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 11, 2011 4:23 AM

8 replies

May 12, 2011 5:19 AM in response to TvdH

Some users have reported the crazy SMB sharing with Windows in 10.6.x can be solved if you go to Finder's Preferences and in the Sidebar pane uncheck the box for 'Connected servers'. This really helps things along and all you have to do know if use the Go-Connect to Server (command button +k) to connect to known SMB servers.

May 24, 2011 10:53 PM in response to TvdH

There are two ways:

1. Go to your Sharing system preferences and uncheck the file sharing service (optionally go to the "Options" in sharing and disable SMB specifically). Then reverse these settings to turn it back on.

2. Use the launchctl utility in the Terminal to stop and restart the samba daemon. Open the Terminal and enter the following command to stop the daemon:

sudo launchctl stop org.samba.smbd

After this is done, redo the command with "start" to restart the daemon:

sudo launchctl start org.samba.smbd

May 25, 2011 1:16 PM in response to TvdH

List those loaded by running "sudo launchctl list" in the Terminal, and see which ones reference "smbd" in their name. Apple still uses the open source samba suite in 10.6, though it is changing to an internally developed smb suite in 10.7.

I wonder if its hanging because the process is not launching or being handled properly by launchd. Do you have a file called "smbd.plist" in the /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ folder?

May 26, 2011 12:21 AM in response to Topher Kessler

"sudo launchctl list | grep smb" only returns those 3 processes I listed earlier.

However smbd.plist does exist, it is referencing "org.samba.smbd" and set to a DISABLED state. This weird because I can connect to smb shares just fine. If it's not using samba what is it?

I'm hoping 10.7 will solve the problem as it has been corrupting Parallels images from time to time. I can't believe this is so bad and damaging.

How do I restart samba on OSX 10.6.7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.