Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When moving from a list of threads view to a thread would be nice to jump to last thread read.

When moving from a list of threads being viewed to a thread, it would be nice to jump to last thread read or first unread thread.

Sometimes the threads get rather long. Sometimes I haven't read a thread in awhile & I forget where I have left off reading a thread. It would be nice to have an icon to click on to move to your last read post or the first non-read post.

Seems this could be implemented in javascript without too much problem. Might be a problem of when to get rid of the tracking data.

Robert

Posted on May 11, 2011 10:48 AM

7 replies

May 13, 2011 10:34 AM in response to paulsalter

This would be a new capability. I didn't know you could jump directly to the last post in a thread by clicking on the posters name in your discussions. However, I am interested in jumping to the first post that I haven't read.

Since writing my original post, I realize that software doesn't know what posts I have read. Lets say there are are 26 posts in a thread. Lets assume these are divided into three pages with at most 10 items in a page:

page 1 -- a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j
page 2 -- k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t
page 3 -- u, v, w, x, y, z

The software know that I have viewed the first three pages. It doesn't know what post on the pages I have read. The software would need to assume I have read all the available posts on a page.

Now lets assume that 12 more post were added. This results in:

page 1 -- a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j
page 2 -- k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t
page 3 -- u, v, w, x, y, z, aa,bb,cc,dd
page 4 -- ee,ff,gg,hh,ii,jj,kk,ll

It would be nice if I could go to aa.

Jumping to the last post in the thread doesn't hack it. You have to spend a lot of time finding where you left off your reading.

Intesting, the list of your posts on your homepage usings the term Last Activity were as Your Discussions uses the term Last Post. The terminalogy should be the same & should act the same. For the existing capability of going the the last post, I was thinking of Goto Last Post.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

May 13, 2011 11:21 AM in response to rccharles

I assume other forums go by the date/time you last used the forums

eg, I am about to finish on here now, almost 19:30

next time i view it needs a button to go to the first post after this time

I am not up on the types of forums around, but it only seems to be Jive run ones which dont have this feature (that i have seen anyway)

If i browse on macrumors, there is a button on the main page next to each thread, press this and it takes me straight to where i was last reading, the same with most other forums i view

When moving from a list of threads view to a thread would be nice to jump to last thread read.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.