Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stereoscopic 3D on macbook pro ?

Can I use stereoscopic 3D on the 2011 MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz model ?

Will I be able to view 3D by connecting my mac to a 3D TV with a MiniDisplay to HDMI adapter ?

Posted on May 11, 2011 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 8:18 AM

There is nothing to preclude rendering in 3d to a DisplayPort output device, but even for 3-d environments, like games or virtual worlds, the application is responsible for creating the appropriate rendering. The typical HDMI outputs for 3-d TV combing two high resolution video streams into one signal. On your TV, you can see which modes you support (e.g. checkerboard, top/bottom, left right).

The application you are trying to run in 3d must have a display mode corresponding to one of the supported modes of your TV. I don't know of any games, for example, that will automatically detect that you are using a MiniDP->HDMI output and offer a 3d mode. There are, however, game engines that can do both.

What are you hoping to do?

(N.B. If you are hoping to run 3d bluray disks to an external display, you'd need a bluray player, of course, since the MBP is a superdrive.)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2012 8:18 AM in response to appsandhacks(youtube)

There is nothing to preclude rendering in 3d to a DisplayPort output device, but even for 3-d environments, like games or virtual worlds, the application is responsible for creating the appropriate rendering. The typical HDMI outputs for 3-d TV combing two high resolution video streams into one signal. On your TV, you can see which modes you support (e.g. checkerboard, top/bottom, left right).

The application you are trying to run in 3d must have a display mode corresponding to one of the supported modes of your TV. I don't know of any games, for example, that will automatically detect that you are using a MiniDP->HDMI output and offer a 3d mode. There are, however, game engines that can do both.

What are you hoping to do?

(N.B. If you are hoping to run 3d bluray disks to an external display, you'd need a bluray player, of course, since the MBP is a superdrive.)

Apr 24, 2013 9:09 AM in response to appsandhacks(youtube)

EDIT: I actually re-read your question and I think it's more straight forward than I thought. Yes it is possible, but you will probably have to use a side-by-side mode. Youtube supports this, I have used it on a 2009 Macbook Pro and it worked well. If you are going to be viewing 3D video or photos that you took yourself, you may need to download some 3D software to display it side-by-side for your TV.

I had a sony HMZ stereoscopic display for a while, and I could use stereoscopic 3D using a standard side-by-side output with standard resolutions from my 2009 Macbook (youtube 3D videos worked very well) however I had trouble getting a full-HD "frame packed" custom resolution to work (AKA full framerate, full resolution 3D).

Actually, I managed to create the custom resolution, at least according the the macbook, but the sony refused to display it... I have a feeling it's more to do with the signal pedegree the sony converter box was expecting and my custom res output to HDMI from the DVI of my aging macbook wasn't up to the HDMI 1.4 spec. I also read reviews of the cable itself being the problem, not able to support the number of lines required for a frame packed signal...

Does that make sense? It did for me at the time.

Short answer, yes it is possible.

Long answer, full frame packing (full-HD 3D) requires a bit of time to get working... more time than I had.

I look forward to trying again with my new MacBook Pro Retina. On the face of it the HDMI output seems to have enough resolution to support 720p frame packing stereoscopic 3D.

Aug 11, 2014 7:08 AM in response to appsandhacks(youtube)

I have a MBP 17 Late 2011 with 2.5GHZ 16GB RAM UJ267AM Bluray Drive. I got it to work in bootcamp mode only, running windows 8.1 thru a Thunderbolt port to HDMI 1.4 (3D capable cord). Which I found for less than $12 on ebay. I did install an internal bluray drive that I swapped out for the preinstalled super drive. As for the display I got a Asus vg278HR. It works but I can't help but notice the refresh rate is shabby coming from a dual link port. I have one of those but 3D is unfortunately not supported. Seams like a lot to get 3D working on a MacBook Pro, more of a project really. Hopefully that has answered your question.

Stereoscopic 3D on macbook pro ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.