Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Macbook Pro get so hot?

I downloaded this program to let me know how hot it is and it sometimes gets to 80 - 90 degreese celcius yes C with the litte circle before the C.

and the rpm gets like 5300 is this normal for macbook pro? I have the 2011 version the highend 15" model with anti glare screeen

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 11, 2011 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2011 12:08 PM

What are you doing when you see those temps (which are close to the safety shutdown threshold of around 100C)?

Heating can depend on what the computer is chewing on, how you physically position it while working, or both.

"Chewing"

Graphics-intensive games will run up the temps. So can a runaway background process. Most commercial security and anti-virus programs really stress the system. If you want anti-virus, Google up ClamXav--it's free, effective, and doesn't tie a 1000-pound weight on computer operations like Norton and some other name-brand AV packages.

This article talks about runaway processes and their effect on battery life, but they can also run up temps. Curative steps are provided:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1473

Physical Considerations

The bottom side of the case is part of the heat dissipation system. Don't use the compute in your lap without a lapboard to allow air underneath. Don't use the computer on a blanket of pillow for the same reason. If you are using an external monitor, leave the built-in display open so you're not trapping heat. The display hinge area in the back must also be free of obstruction.

If you check these things and that doesn't help, I'd get an Apple Store to look a it.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2011 12:08 PM in response to wapipi

What are you doing when you see those temps (which are close to the safety shutdown threshold of around 100C)?

Heating can depend on what the computer is chewing on, how you physically position it while working, or both.

"Chewing"

Graphics-intensive games will run up the temps. So can a runaway background process. Most commercial security and anti-virus programs really stress the system. If you want anti-virus, Google up ClamXav--it's free, effective, and doesn't tie a 1000-pound weight on computer operations like Norton and some other name-brand AV packages.

This article talks about runaway processes and their effect on battery life, but they can also run up temps. Curative steps are provided:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1473

Physical Considerations

The bottom side of the case is part of the heat dissipation system. Don't use the compute in your lap without a lapboard to allow air underneath. Don't use the computer on a blanket of pillow for the same reason. If you are using an external monitor, leave the built-in display open so you're not trapping heat. The display hinge area in the back must also be free of obstruction.

If you check these things and that doesn't help, I'd get an Apple Store to look a it.

Jul 27, 2011 10:28 PM in response to wapipi

I have had mine a few months and after I installed an update, the temp and fan speed went through the roof. Mine averages 185F and the fan is usually around 4500 RPM. This computer used to be super quiet and never got hot which is a major reason I purchased it. Now its burning up and loud. I am disgusted. I checked a few other posts and there seems to be a problem with one of the updates, I think the Thunderbolt update. I am going to take mine in to the Apple store.

Apr 2, 2012 2:29 PM in response to wapipi

If you are converting videos, then yes, mine does it too.

Pop it on a cooling pad, dont keep it on a soft surface or block the vent at the back. & Update the EFI.

If its still too hot, drop in to the genius bar.

NB Video conversion is power hungry. Its also CPU hungry. The Mac will be working very hard! All my Macbooks get hot during this, but not in gaming. My iMac's kick out a lot of heat too. But they have a better, more open air flow.

15 & 17" Intel I5 & I7 & Thunderbolt MacBook Pro. Macbook Air & 2 x 27" iMac, a Dual Core and a Sandy Bridge I7.

Message was edited by: Zenhypnotic

Apr 2, 2012 2:36 PM in response to wapipi

wapipi wrote:

I downloaded this program to let me know how hot it is and it sometimes gets to 80 - 90 degreese celcius...

The idle temps for this machine (I have one very close) should be about 40º C /112 ºF just surfing the web and using light programs that don't stress the CPU or GPU.

with the litte circle before the C

Hold option and press zero for the º

wapipi wrote:

I downloaded this program to let me know how hot it is and it sometimes gets to 80 - 90 .....and the rpm gets like 5300 is this normal for macbook pro?

Yes if your stressing the CPU or GPU.

What you can do to reduce the temps is go into Energy Saver and turn off Graphics Switching.

The way the computer works is it uses the integrated graphics of the CPU (lousy only scores 11) and then taps the GPU (your dedicated video card, scors 30-45) for more.

If you turn off Graphics Switching, it uses the GPU all the time, because the GPU is located on another spot on the logicboard, the two sources of heat are separated, giving your CPU time to cool off more often.

It's the integrated graphics that's the cause of a lot of heat issues, it's really bad on the 13" models.

Congrats on buying the 15" anti-glare. 😀

May 19, 2013 6:28 AM in response to Allan Jones

I used the Activity App in the Utility Section of the Applications. It told me that Google Drive was running my CPU. I forced quit Google Drive and the CPU settled down and the heat disappeared. I had just loaded the Google Drive with data and pictures that I want to save. I am not sure why it would keep the CPU running at full power....

Why does my Macbook Pro get so hot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.