Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running Quicktime in Windows Vista

I have a four year old laptop with Windows Vista as the operating system. Since joining the support communities in August 2010, after buying the Ipod, I have never been able to view the support videos or run Quicktime without "run as administrator" being checked.

Something has changed. I can now run Quicktime or view the videos without any "Run as Administrator".

This could be a result of:-

EITHER Apple has issued an update to Quicktime - there was no definite indication of this

OR it could be the result of a reputable disk optimizer which I have installed to clean up all the "junk" on the hard disk.

I have never seen a solution to this problem - the main reason for viewing the discussions. It has been discussed many times and it has always been left as open problem.

It suggests that the problem is registry related, i.e. it is related to a registry error. I can't pinpoint which registry it was as there were so many errors detected.

Has anyone else seen this change, without having to optimise the disk?

Laptop, Toshiba, Windows Vista Home Premium, IE9, Ram 2GB.

Posted on May 11, 2011 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2011 4:39 PM

You're the first person I can recall report having it magically come right for them. (I may have missed other reports though.)

It suggests that the problem is registry related, i.e. it is related to a registry error. I can't pinpoint which registry it was as there were so many errors detected.

Yes ... much like my reasons for leaving the run as administrator workaround in place when it works for someone. It's never clear what the underlying permissions problems are, and there so many different ones that could be in play.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2011 4:39 PM in response to Ribblev

You're the first person I can recall report having it magically come right for them. (I may have missed other reports though.)

Yes ... much like my reasons for leaving the run as administrator workaround in place when it works for someone. It's never clear what the underlying permissions problems are, and there so many different ones that could be in play.

May 12, 2011 9:09 AM in response to b noir

Thanks for your response.

There is just one clue in the long list of registry errors repaired. This is the only direct refence to Quicktime.

Details:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT\NATIVE MEDIA PLAYERS\QUICK TIME PLAYER

EXE PATH C:\PROGRAM FILES\QuickT

Somewhere I heard that QuickT is an entirely different utility. There's some confusion somewhere.

I can't send the whole list, partly because it shows some detail about installed programs on the laptop.

Ribblev

May 12, 2011 9:40 AM in response to b noir

Sorry, QuickT does refer to Quicktime, as noted when looking through your previous posts.

The log entry does not say what Norton did to repair the entry. From previous manual searches I can remember reading "value not set". So some correction to the value may have been made.

Both Quicktime and Itunes.exe were set as "run as administrator" at the time of the scan. (I always forget to uncheck them).

Is this a possible clue to the rectification of the problem?

Ribblev

May 12, 2011 4:32 PM in response to Ribblev

... Did we meet during that epic "Export Controller" thread a year or so ago, Ribblev? If so, belated many many thanks, because I think you were the person who alerted me to the Run as administrator thing. If so (and assuming I'm still the only person who regularly tries to troubleshoot them here) that makes you the godfather of all contemporary permissions-related QuickTime runtime troubleshooting here at AD and ASC.

If the disk optimiser fixed things (which seems plausible) I would be very excited indeed. I'd resigned myself to the workaround of setting "Run as administrator" in the QuickTimePlayer.exe compatibility tab (so the Player automatically launches by doing a run as administrator) because I'd thrown not just the kitchen sink but virtually all of the other kitchen fittings at the possible underlying problems, and still failed to fix them.

Which disk optimiser did you use? Was it one of the utilities we have to purchase, or does a shareware package or trial version of a have-to-pay-for utility do the trick?

EDIT: [replaced "registry scanner" with "disk optimiser" in text of reply]

Message was edited by: b noir

May 13, 2011 2:18 AM in response to b noir

Thanks for your reply. We have not been in a discussion before. I first posted the problem in August 2010 and received no response, other than someone telling me to repost to the correct place!

I watched a discussion of yours on this subject from around 25-10-2010, and stayed in the background.

I had many years at work interfacing with industrial microprocessors, and learned to "sniff" out problems from the early 1980s. Before that it was "simple" logic and analogue circuits. Most problems were nothing to do with the micro - or electronics - at all, but it always took the blame. Dealing in depth with personal computers is a different and more difficult approach.

The System Optimizer I am using is Norton Utilities 2011, so it's not just a "disk optimizer" even if it optimises information stored on the disk. The are no secrets these days, as there are other products available which will achieve the same results. The software may help to prolong the useful life of the laptop for another 2 years or so. It's cheaper option than buying a new laptop. The biggest improvement made was by increasing the RAM to the maximum which this machine can handle at 2GB.

I was never happy with the "run as adminstrator" situation, but now that ASC is a https site then things are more secure.

It's never clear exactly what a registry cleaner does, but it presumably works down a chain of commands until it reaches a dead end.

The next step will be to see what the current parameters of HKEY_CURRENT_USER......QUICKTIME PLAYER are set at and possibly revert to the old setting to see what has changed - possibly a risky procedure.

Ribblev

(Ribble Valley, Lancs U.K.)

May 14, 2011 12:32 AM in response to b noir

I have looked at the details of the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USERS_>>>>QuickT and the parameters seem to be normal - the same as noted in one of your discussion entries with "Hotrod" some months ago.

I don't want to compare binary values, as this may be futile.

So once again there is still no indication as to what has changed.

I have double checked that quicktime and Itunes videos are still running without "run as Administrator" and all is ok.

What Norton Utilities does do is to switch off services until they are required. There may possibly be a conflict which arises when some services are brought into action.

Ribblev

May 15, 2011 2:36 AM in response to b noir

The previous attempt failed so once again:-

Thanks for your reply. The services which are switched off include operating system services. I took a text file from Vista's System Information, but sending it may infringe intellectual property rights etc, and in any case there is no file attach feature.

However the solution may lie nearer to the surface. There were three significant registries cleaned up as shown in the log:-

HKEY_CURRENT USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MEDIA PLAYER\SETUP\CREATED LINKS

SHORTCUT 0

PATH C\Users\Administrator\App data\Roaming.................ETC

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSFT MEDIA PLAYER\PREFERENCES

ObfuscatedSyncPlayer

PathC\Users\Administrator\Local.............ETC

And the Quicktime registry mention above.

(Ctrl C and Ctrl V seem to crash the system).

A subsequent registry scan (without cleaning up) has shown that the "QuickT" registry has been reinstated, but still shows as an error.

It's the first reference to Adminstrator that I've seen.

I do remember over a year ago setting up Quicktime and Media Player preferences, and Quicktime never worked again.

Ribblev

May 16, 2011 2:11 AM in response to b noir

I have been through some steps to trace the reason for the rectification of the "run as adminstrator " problem.

First:- restored all the registries corrected / deleted on 09/05/2011.

Result Quicktime still opens. Itunes Videos in the Support Page open. These are the videos in the main section - next to the discussion button.

Second:- Scanned and cleaned registries again to create a new restore point in Norton. Date 16/05/2011. 1705 errors were detected.

Third:- Shut down and restart.

It looks as though the reason for the rectification will remain a mystery for the time being, and will have to wait until the problems reappear.

I do remember that the original problem started when setting up which program - Quicktime or Windows Media Player - should be the default.

Ribblev

Running Quicktime in Windows Vista

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.