Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attaching photos to emails

When I attach photos to emails sent in Mail they can only be attached as Actual size or as a thumbnail size. The image size box shows up in the bottom right hand corner of the email but the photos do not change size for small, medium or large. The photos are jpegs from scanned 35mm slides or processed RAW files - both processed in Aperture 3. However, the size adjustment does partially respond in the case of a jpeg scanned from a photo print and attached directly (rather than from the photo browser) and completely when the Send Windows Friendly box is unticked. I tried changing to iPhoto but the same problem occurs. I am using OSX 10.6.7 and I wonder if a recent update has caused the problem as I'm sure I didn't have this problem some months ago. I'd be most grateful if someone could help point me in the right direction, please!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 11, 2011 2:22 PM

6 replies

Jul 30, 2011 7:15 PM in response to jackmcdw

jackmcdw,

I don't have a real solution to offer, though I have found a work-around (see bottom) I was noticing the same problem today. For scanned slides there really seem to be two sizes for sending a photo: thumnail and actual size.

I tested the options for photos taken with a Nikon D90, and there is a similar problem. I can send a "small" "medium/large" and "actual size" photo. The file size is the same for medium or large selections.

iPhone photos will attach in all four sizes.

Surprizing that the software cares about the source of the image, but apparently it does. It is annoying.

I have found a clunky work-around, and that is opening a file in Photoshop Elements and making an image the size I want, and then attaching that after saving it in a location orther than Aperture or iPhone

Aug 8, 2011 6:24 AM in response to dcwarner

Hi dcwarner and many thanks for your response to my query - sorry it's taken me some time to respond.

Your reply prompted me to spend a bit more time checking the response of Mail to scans from different sources and, as you say, got a variety of different results depending on the source of the scan, with the best results being from colour slide and colur negative scans made by Fujichrome and Bonusprint in the days when I was still using film and got a CD back as well as the film - in these cases I was able to attach small, large/medium and actual.

Interestingly, the digital files from my Nikon D80 and Canon G12 all attach directly from Aperture 3 in all 4 sizes.

I haven't tried your workaround yet but I have found that if I export a version of any file from Aperture and save as a jpeg in Finder and then attach it to an email it can be attached in any of the 4 normal sizes!!

Aug 8, 2011 12:52 PM in response to johnfrompontefract

Thanks johnfrompontefract. As you say it works well direct from iPhoto using Share>Email and, depending on what size you choose, you then get a further choice within the email message. The problem seems to be with the use of photo browser direct from Mail which only gives thumbnail or actual in the case of scanned slides, whether from iPhoto or Aperture.

The only problem is I don't use iPhoto since I got Aperture! But following on from your suggestion I tried File>Share>Email (or using the Email button) from Aperture. In this case there is no choice of size and the file size is about one third bigger than medium from iPhoto. The big drawback here is that the photo attachment in the email has "For Review Only" printed across it several times! I have tried to get rid of this message via Aperture Preferences but to no avail!

Attaching photos to emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.