Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multilanguage support

Short: For bilingual or multilingual users there should be a keyboard shortcut to change spell-checking and an option to have spell-checking changed simultaneously with the character palette.

It is pretty easy and comfortable to switch between character palettes with just a keyboard shortcut. Thanks to Apple for this future in Mac OS X.

However it is really a pity (and not understandable) why there is no possibility to switch the spell-check-language with such a shortcut or even better an option to have it switched together with the character palette.

For a multilingual person like me who switches language several times an hour it's really annoying to use the OSX spell-check. And when I change character palette in 90% of the cases I do write in the chosen language and would therefore also also enjoy getting the matching spell-check.

Please give us the option to switch spell-checking while switching character palette (and for those who don't switch character palette also implement a spell-check keyboard shortcut). A small improvement which makes our live and work so much faster and easyer.

(For users searching for short time solutions check out http://www.cocoacrumbs.com/blog/?p=96)

Please comment if you support this issue!

Thank you for you time!

OS-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 11, 2011 3:12 PM

4 replies

May 11, 2011 7:02 PM in response to tave

You are using the term Character Palette incorrectly. Instead you want to say "keyboard layout".

The app Nisus Writer does provide a setting in its preferences for linking keyboard layout with spell checker and activating that via a keyboard shortcut. You might want to try it.

iOS, used in the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, does automatically link spellcheck with the choice of keyboard layout.

May 31, 2011 3:19 PM in response to tave

Hi there,

Thanks for all your comments!

@etrestoft: I'm sorry, forgot to mention that I already feed backed this over the official channel. Just wanted to open a public debate on the same subject.

Multilanguage support is not a solution for this as it doesn't provide a sufficient correction anymore.

@Tom Gewecke: Thanks for the correction, its true, I was referring to the keyboard-layout (the functional not the visual one). Having a specific writer doesn't really solve the problem (I can write in Firefox where it's really simple to swtich between spell-checking-languages). The problem is that it occurs in a lot of applications (Mail, Notes, Dashboard etc.) really anoying then is the fact that Pages for example has a third option.

I know the iOS situation but this one isn't perfect either, there I miss the option to easily deactivate suggestions and spellchecking. When I write Standardgerman, French or English its really usefull but when I'm writing some dialect text messages it's super annoying to always correct the automatic corrections.

Multilanguage support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.