Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Performance issue

I have a finance spreadsheet with a no so large number of calculated cells and unfortunately iWork Numbers becomes very slow when editing. I would like to know if is possible use a work around for this issue, is it possible disable auto calculation or maybe exist a technique for this kind of problem?

Thanks.

New iMac 20, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 11, 2011 6:54 PM

11 replies

May 12, 2011 5:50 AM in response to Luiz Siqueira Neto

Question asked and answered several times.

There is no way to disable auto calculation.

Numbers is a snail.

The designers built it so that it recalculate the entire active sheet for every change.

The AppleWorks designers, facing not so powerful processors and short RAM available were able to restrict the recalculation to the displayed area. Seems to be too complicated for youngsters.

There is an efficient tip, at least when we use AppleScript to drive the app. I never made serious tests when editing by hand.

Put the tables in which we insert datas in a sheet different than the one displaying the results.

Other useful tip :

Don't use header columns. They are highly efficient slowdowners.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) 12 mai 2011 14:50:47

May 12, 2011 9:28 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

I agree with you, I don't understand why today applications are so slow, it don't make sense, maybe the idea is sell new computers, who knows?

This is a shame, for me iWork Numbers is really more easy to use than Excel, works fine with Magic Mouse and is revolutionary in spreadsheet world, for the first time tables are free to be placed in any place and used directly.

I hope Apple solve this problem soon as possible because this problem can kill the application.

May 12, 2011 9:40 AM in response to Luiz Siqueira Neto

_Go to "Provide Numbers Feedback" in the "Numbers" menu_, describe what you wish.

Then, cross your fingers, and wait _at least_ for iWork'11 ;-)

Here we are just end users so we can't change the app's behavior.

It's really boring to see that today's programmers rely upon the power of the modern microprocessor and fail to make basic optimization.

When I run Numbers, I take care to never press cmd + F because I became fool when I see the way it behave.

I click the Find/Replace button so, I may enter the string to search in good conditions.

To store my bank transactions, I continue to use my old AppleWorks spreadsheet even if the Numbers version is ready. I hope that we will have a more efficient app when 10.7 will be delivered.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) 12 mai 2011 18:40:20

Jun 10, 2011 12:10 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Thanks, Yvan, for this great tip about putting the entry tables on a different sheet than the results of the calculation! I was looking at some older, archived posts and then discovered this by switching around some tables. I wasn't sure if that was the variable until I found this post. It definitely helps a lot with my speed!

You've helped me so many times (all the way back to AW days), I thank you! 🙂

Jun 10, 2011 12:36 AM in response to pbekkerus

Thanks for the feedback.

As you perhaps saw, I (quite) no longer respond in AppleWorks forum.

I don't understand that users start using such a product in year 2011.

They are playing with matches.

Of course, continuing to use it when we are working with it for many years is an other thing.

But I guess that old users know the way to use the beast.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 10 juin 2011 09:36:24

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.7

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

To be the AW6 successor, iWork MUST integrate a TRUE DB, not a list organizer !

Performance issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.